Gypsy Jazz Fusion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jul 6, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    This is a real long shot but I was on vacation and watching the tele in the cabin, possibly TV5 (a french channel) and there was this band that played Django-esque gypsy jazz, but it was really agressive and fusiony (the guys could really shed!) I think there were about 4 or 5 in the band and all I can is one of the members commenting on how everyone preally remember layed the guitar and they didn't have a bassist. They made one member pick up the bass and the first thing he played was the melody to a Django tune (i forget which) and since then he's been a bass player. IIRC they were all European of some sorts with thick strong accents but I couldn't tell / don't remember.... Does anyone have any slight idea about who I could be talking about?

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Maybe Bireli Lagrene?

www.lagrene.com

Probably the finest gypsy swing guitarist around today - chops galore. (He's no slouch on the bass either.)

3. Bireli's the man - his live DVD with his gypsy band is incredible and it's about 2 hours long - shame Dominique Di Piazza didn't make the jam session at the end - aside from that it's awesome stuff - he's a montster. There's a great clip in the extras menu of him when he's 12 or something and he plays a solo spot at the Montreaux jazz festival, burning up the frets and getting a standing ovation from the crowd - it's amazing stuff.

M

See my 'Django' video clip on the other thread - it's a piece called Minor Swing that is a classic for going nuts on - er, I did!

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I don't think this is it. The guy I saw really shredded it was almost very metalesque shred but on acoustic in a gypsy setting....it'll probably be impossible to find the right person, I only saw him for a few seconds so i doubt I'd even be able to identify him....

Ironically I was working on transcribing Minor Swing just before I left on vaca (nedless to say I didn't get too far) but I plan to take up where I left off tonight. Not that'll it'll be much in comparrison to yours :p I guess I could go back to working out Take Five.