Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gypsy Jazz Fusion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jul 6, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    This is a real long shot but I was on vacation and watching the tele in the cabin, possibly TV5 (a french channel) and there was this band that played Django-esque gypsy jazz, but it was really agressive and fusiony (the guys could really shed!) I think there were about 4 or 5 in the band and all I can is one of the members commenting on how everyone preally remember layed the guitar and they didn't have a bassist. They made one member pick up the bass and the first thing he played was the melody to a Django tune (i forget which) and since then he's been a bass player. IIRC they were all European of some sorts with thick strong accents but I couldn't tell / don't remember.... Does anyone have any slight idea about who I could be talking about?

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Maybe Bireli Lagrene?

www.lagrene.com

Probably the finest gypsy swing guitarist around today - chops galore. (He's no slouch on the bass either.)

3. Bireli's the man - his live DVD with his gypsy band is incredible and it's about 2 hours long - shame Dominique Di Piazza didn't make the jam session at the end - aside from that it's awesome stuff - he's a montster. There's a great clip in the extras menu of him when he's 12 or something and he plays a solo spot at the Montreaux jazz festival, burning up the frets and getting a standing ovation from the crowd - it's amazing stuff.

M

See my 'Django' video clip on the other thread - it's a piece called Minor Swing that is a classic for going nuts on - er, I did!

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I don't think this is it. The guy I saw really shredded it was almost very metalesque shred but on acoustic in a gypsy setting....it'll probably be impossible to find the right person, I only saw him for a few seconds so i doubt I'd even be able to identify him....

Ironically I was working on transcribing Minor Swing just before I left on vaca (nedless to say I didn't get too far) but I plan to take up where I left off tonight. Not that'll it'll be much in comparrison to yours :p I guess I could go back to working out Take Five.