Gypsy jazzers/slappers?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by tzadik, Jan 22, 2007.

1. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Any other gypsy jazzers here? Who do you listen to?

2. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    i love that stuff. django, hot club, grisman. can't say i can play much of it, but i do like it. the mando player in my band has been requesting we pursue some of this material.

3. Pcocobass

Pcocobass Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    My brother is a guitarist and a huge Django fan so we play a lot of those kinds of tunes. Frank Vignola is a has a lot of great recordings in that genre too.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hey, tzzz.... I helped found a group a few years ago called Gypsy Pacific that started as a goof, and somehow became popular, and now it refuses to die. I think there's some early tracks of the group in the TBDB sampler. We've since done several recordings and lots of live performances. In the next couple of months, we'll be recording a project with Willie Nelson :meh: , a huge Django fan from way back when. Go figgah....

Anyway, my favorite of the recent batch is still Bireli LaGrene, and his cohort, violinist Florin Nicoliscu.

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey Marcus, that's so funny, and pretty amazing too! I know that after playing a night of that kind of stuff with my brother, I need to just play a slow blues and kind of clear my head, if you know what I mean!:D

6. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    Anyone planning to go to the festival on Whidby Island in WA in September?

7. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Yeah, my trio (Ameranouche) is playing at several (all?) of this year's Djangofests. Maybe see some of you there?

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'd love to do Whidby. We were asked to do it last year, along with the one in LA, but we couldn't make the schedule work.

Same with Samois, we had it tentatively lined up, but it turned out to be too expensive to fly us all to France. That one hurt!....

9. DrBassie

DrBassie

Apr 24, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I've been into Gypsy Jazz for a long time - since middle school. I play with The Cook Trio (http://myspace.com/thecooktrio) and play regularly. Guitar is my 2nd instrument and mostly play gypsy jazz as well.

10. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Hey Doc, I was just checking out your Cook Trio this morning on Myspace. You guys sound great and I can't wait to hear more. I am still new to the gypsy thing...maybe I should pick your brain sometime if you don't mind/ if I can think of specific questions...
    Peace.

11. DrBassie

DrBassie

Apr 24, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Sure, no problem. Fire away with any jazz manouche questions you have. Thanks for the compliment!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021