1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GZR P/J Pickups - Bridge p/up cannot be solo'd. What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by natrontheape, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for your help on this... So, I just installed the EMG GZR P/J pickup set in my MIM Mustang P/J bass. EMG sent me a pickup selector and a buss that can be used to set up the pickups the way they are set up int he stock bass. However, I could not get EMG's buss to fit in the control cavity without some big routing, which I didn't want to do today. So, I had an idea to put the neck pickup volume pot where the selector switch usually is, then place the bridge volume pot and tone pot down on the control plate. I thought this was a great idea so I wired it up as in the diagram for a VVT. But there is one exception. I had to flip the bridge pickup upside down in the cavity because I needed the long quick-connect cable that is usually used on the bridge to reach from the neck volume pot to the bridge volume pot. I think this may have caused my problem...

Here's the issue, everything APPEARS to be wired right to me, but when i turn down the neck pickup, the bridge pickup is just completely off, even if the volume for that pot is all the way up.

My guess is that, by re-orienting the bridge pickup (flipping it). I created this problem. I plan to email EMG for a longer quick-connect cable to accommodate my desired setup. Then I can flip the bridge pickup back. However, I'm not sure if this will actually solve the problem. Any thoughts? School me! Please!

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Orientation of the pickup will not cause that to happen.

natrontheape likes this.
  3. Thanks. must be other wiring issue. I will triple check that i did it all correctly! could have swapped something, but it works perfectly otherwise. So weird.

4. It sounds like you wired the volume pot backwards.

rollo and natrontheape like this.
  5. thanks. The pots still control the correct pickups. I can completely remove the bridge pickup by turning it down, and the neck still sounds great. it's just when i turn down the neck volume all the way, I cannot hear the bridge at all.

6. That's because the input and output of the volume pot are mixed up, so the pot is varying the output impedance of the whole signal, instead of just the input impedance of its respective pickup. Or at least that is what I suspect is happening.

Make sure that the middle terminal on each volume pot is the input.

natrontheape likes this.
  7. You nailed it. I had checked three times, but didn't have the neck pickup wired correctly. I fixed it and it is all better now. You are proof that not all heroes wear capes. THANK YOU!

line6man likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Who says he doesn't wear a cape?

9. Indeed, I have capes for every occasion. I wore my bass playing cape to type that post.

NoiseNinja, natrontheape and JimmyM like this.
  10. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan

Jan 24, 2016
    lol