1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GZR PJ pup install question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BK bassist, Nov 8, 2018.

1. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all,

I have a Fender Aerodyne that I'd like to swap out the stock pups with a set of GZR PJ pups. I would like to attempt to do this on my own as opposed to bringing it to a shop and paying NYC tech prices if possible.

From what I have read, it appears the GZR pup set does not require soldering to install. Which is great because I have never done any kind of soldering work before and I don't own any soldering equipment.

I understand that everyone has different levels of competency when it comes to projects like this .... but for those of you who know what's involved, is this something that with patience and time is fairly easy to do? Or do do you recommend having a "pro" do the work.

Any advice / tips / insights would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

2. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    With the instructions that comes with the pickups and eventual additional instructions from YouTube videos it ought to be fairly easy to install them even without much knowledge of the technical stuff.
    Though if you don't have front mounted jack output plug, like on Fenders, but a barrel type one, soldering will be needed for the jack plug, which might complicate the install slightly.

The pickups sounds amazing by the way, so good choice.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    EMGs solderless system is well thought out and the instructions are easy to understand.
    Even though I am a trained electronics tech and have no trouble soldering, I really like it and I wish all the other manufacturers could come up with a similar system.

I have installed at least a dozen of EMG pickups in guitars and basses, the only thing that can be a problem is when the included cables are too short.
    To be fair, I only had that problem on my Baritone guitar, which is HUGE and the output jack is in one of the "wings".

EMG also has some videos on their Youtube channel that shows the installation of various pickups.
    Here is the GZR P:

Spidey2112 and BK bassist like this.
  4. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY

I've watched that video before, thank you for sharing the link.

My concern is more about taking the existing pups out and preparing the wires for the new install.

5. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Everything you need, including cables, pots and output jack comes with the EMGs.
    You can download the instruction as a PDF file from EMGs website. It shows how everything goes together.
    http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/g/z/gzr_pj_hz_0230-0281rc.pdf

As for taking the old pickups out, assuming they are passives, all you need to do is cut the wires right at the pots.

BK bassist and Spidey2112 like this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You can do this...

BK bassist likes this.
  7. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you.

C_Becker likes this.