1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Höfner 182 with hardcase?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aske Albertus, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Aske Albertus

Aske Albertus

Nov 29, 2016
    I got offered this Höfner 182 bassguitar with hardcase local. Seller is asking 310 USD(im from denmark). Judging by the pictures, would this be a good deal? It will be one of my first basses if i pick it up. I really like the 60s and 70s vintage vibe, bu im not really qualified to tell if its in good shape, Can some of you tell med is this is a good deal? Im quite hyped on this bass as i was originally looking for a hofner icon. :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  2. Aske Albertus

Aske Albertus

Nov 29, 2016
    Hofner 182 Imgur /uYGg/HYHkinbTIy

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    :)Nice cat photos, but a photo of the bass in question might get some more useful comments.

4. Aske Albertus

Aske Albertus

Nov 29, 2016
    Sorry. Should be up now

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Cool old bass. I see they used the strange Hofner control setup, works, but counterintuitive. IIRC, putting both pup switches to "on" mutes the bass, weird. Those "teacup" knobs can be replaced with new aftermarket copies. It has the same very thin but deep neck profile you see on the violin style basses, takes a little getting used to if you play basses with a more standard string spacing. I have no idea the value, but $310 USD sounds reasonable just from a cool factor. I'd buy it with hardcase.
    Vintage Hofner Style Tea Cup Knobs | Allparts.com

Edit:
    A quick internet search and I'm seeing prices for these basses ranging $350-450 USD, so that price sounds good. Here's a TB thread on the subject:
    Hofner/Höfner 182

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  6. Aske Albertus

Aske Albertus

Nov 29, 2016
    Thanks! Yeah it looks pretty cool. i might pick it up. Can you see on the pictures if it might need some repair?. does the neck look ok? Again im pretty new new to this so any help is much appreciated. thanks so much

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Looks like some wear on the edge of the fingerboard, and obviously normal wear and tear for a bass this old. Can't tell from the photos if the neck is straight, or how the trussrod works. There isn't any sign of a trussrod at the headstock, so it's either heel-adjust or it has no trussrod at all. Can you go and play it in person? Missing parts and ordinary wear are OK, bowed neck isn't, and no way to tell until you try it. Neck looks good in the photo, but better to know for sure.

8. Aske Albertus

Aske Albertus

Nov 29, 2016
    Yeah. I will go have a look at it