1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Höfner Shorty Bass...headless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FriendlyFiver, Sep 21, 2019.

1. FriendlyFiver

FriendlyFiver

Dec 19, 2018
    Sacramento
    Dear TB;

I'm looking for a travel bass, pretty sure I really like the Hofner Shorty Bass, it seems, if nothing else, "good enough" for travel. I super don't like the Kala style bass, tho it's clearly the smallest, I'm not necessarily looking for "smallest."

I'm wondering tho, what about converting it to headless with a Steinburger-style tailpiece? My concern is the length of the required double-ball strings, which I can't find shorter than 34". With the entire Shorty being just about 39", and the head being longer than 5", I'm concerned the tuners couldn't make up sufficient slack.

Thoughts and input are welcome!

2. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Have you considered an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro bass, which has a scale length of just 28,6" and overall isn't much bigger than a guitar?

Even if they are some of the cheapest basses around, at least produced by generally acclaimed manufactures, they are actually generally of a really high quality compared to the low price you pay for one, and can basically be gigged from stock, just likely needing a proper setup and maybe a new set of strings.

My main bass is actually a Mikro, and even one of my absolute favorites of all the basses I have ever owned, despite some of them having cost above the 1000$ mark.

I did swap the stock pickups on mine though with some proper quality ones, but the ones it comes with are not exactly bad either, as said some people seems fine gigging with them as they are.

To me there aren't any noticeable trade offs either by it having such a short scale, on the contrary it makes it super comfortable to play.

Of course though you should count on the strings having less tension and therefor feeling more floppy relatively to a regular 34" scale bass using the same type of strings and of the same gauge.

The newer GSRM20B version of the Ibanez Mikro with black hardware in either walnut or weathered black finish even looks really nice:
    preview.jpg
    preview.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    TolerancEJ and nexxus like this.
  3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    ...or you could get one of these. 32" scale length, uses standard long-scale strings.
    image.jpeg

4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    With a single-ball string adapter you'd be able to clamp the string at full gauge at the nut side. If I'm not mistaken, that is: never had a headless myself.

If you can be interested in a bass in the same ballpark as the Höfner Shorty, but shorter still (36.25" overall, by virtue of it having a smaller headstock and a shorter scale length i.e. 28.5", about the same as the above-mentioned Ibanez Mikro), there is one, the Shredneck Z-Series Travel Bass:
    71%2BELnW%2B6vL._AC_SL500_.jpg
    Bass Z-Series - Shredneck
    Shredneck travel bass
    NBD... sort of. shredneck travel bass!

As an interesting aside, the original Model 187 Shorty Bass from 1982–86 had a 28" scale:
    The Hofner Shorty - Fact File

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. FriendlyFiver

FriendlyFiver

Dec 19, 2018
    Sacramento
    Interesting!

What's the measurement (inches or cm) from end to end?

6. FriendlyFiver

FriendlyFiver

Dec 19, 2018
    Sacramento

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. FriendlyFiver, were you able to find something that fit the bill?