Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

H. A. Stöhr bows, and bow shopping in general.

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Jonas J, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi, I'm about to start shopping for a new bow, and my teacher have a German bow made by H. A. Stöhr, that he might sell. Searching the Internet for info gives nothing, do any one of you guys have any info about H. A. Stöhr bows?

To my limited knowledge and ability, I think the bow plays well, and makes the bass (and me!) sound a lot better, but I have almost nothing (except the cheapo Strunal bow I currently use) to compare with.

I'll probably take the bow to a luthier to get an estimated value. Should I pay for such a service? How much?

As you can see, this is the first time I go bow-shopping, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jonas

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Play as many bows as you can before you buy. What you like in a bow will become apparent. Also, have someone else play the bows while you listen. What you hear up close isn't always the same as what you hear from a distance. I like to listen from a distance with my eyes closed so that I don't know which bow they are playing. Sometime our eyes influence our ears.

3. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I've visited a luthier in Oslo, and compared the Stöhr bow with three bows in the price range of 2000-9000 NOK (about $300 to $1300), and I think the bow plays and feels as the $1300 bow. The luthier also thinks it's comparable to that one, but he has no further info about H.A. Stöhr.

4. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    There's a bowmaker called (i think) 'Wolf' who lives way up north in Finnish Lapland - not exactly close to you, but in scandinavia at least!I know that he makes very good bows, and I think he may not be so expensive. The Sibelius Academy in Helsinki has ordered some bows from this maker. If you're interested i can maybe get his email address/phone number for you.

5. Jan Emil

Jan Emil

Oct 21, 2005
    Malmö Sweden
    I had a H.A Stöhr bow, it was ok, stabile in spiccato, sound not very good but ok , a Copenhagen
    luthier valuated it to 5000 skr, (insurance valuation payed
    by the orchestra), i sold it to a student,

6. I am trying out a bow by H.A. Stohr right now from Robertsons, and it is priced significantly higher than $1300. It plays very well...pulls a great sound with very nice spiccato. Did you end up buying that bow from your teacher?

7. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes, I'll be buying the bow for 7000 NOK, a little more than $1000. After playing it for a couple of weeks, I think my playing (and sound) have risen to a new level. Not surprisingly, considering my playing level and previous bow.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    as far as shipping bows goes... I went to home depot and bought some 3" pvc pipe that was threaded on both ends and then bought the caps that go with that...works wonderfully...