Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

H chord

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by codeine, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Could someone please tell me what the deal with the H chord is?

I have had an argument with my flatmate (a guitarist) about this because I don't believe that it exists (why not just use its real name). He tells me there is some explanation based on the minor scale that justifies it being named H (which i think is garbage).

Thanks for any info

Simon

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Actually, he's kind of right. According to some, Bb is H, I think. This came about because some guy a long time ago wrote it wrong, or somebody thought his B looked like an H. Probably somebody here knows the specific names and so forth. There was just a thread that had something to do with it... I'll look it up.

Edit: Okay, there was a thread that had a lot of detail that I can't find, but I got this from JMX:

So there you go. That said, your guitarist is dumb for bothering to call it that.

3. I knew what H is used for but i just dont get why it is accepted or used. It would be like if i decided to replace the letter A (in the alphabet) with the greek letter 'phi'. It is just as stupid as physicists using conventional current to explain eletrical circuits when they know full well that it is electrons that move.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, in Germany, B is H, and Bb is B.

I've never actually seen *anything* written that way though - I've never actually seen it used. It seems to me, that it's pretty pointless to ever refer to it as H.

As far as some explanation based on the minor scale goes - sounds like bull**** to me too, but who knows...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - it's not pointless if you're German!! ;)

Shostakovich also used this system, although he was Russian - as did many of the great "Classical" composers. So - they often used themes based on relevant names like BACH, DSCH and used them like an artist's signature, in a piece - pretty hard to fit 'bs' and '#s' into a name!! ;)

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Alright alright, I was assuming here that the people involved aren't German!!

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Awesome... that's it B=H from now on in my book.

I get called H (amoung other things) by numerous friends...

I always wanted a chord named after me... other than half-diminished ;)

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL. I thought you were half-demented, Howard? :D

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    H is also B in Iceland..
    It doesn't make sense..

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well here in the Readin' we dont have G's.

11. Bruce Lindfield

You've got to do us in Brighton, a big favour on Sunday, by beating Stoke!! ;)

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    What's that carpet racing or snail chewing?

Sorry Bruce, I only care that Reading Royals dont ever make it into the premiership. The last thing I want is a town full of 30,000 drunken wankers every weekend.

13. Hey thanks for the help guys.

BTW bruce and Howard I really like how your football league is set up and teams have a chance to make it to premier league if they play well.

I wish sports were structured that way here.

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I could be wrong, but I've seen B=H used in many parts of Europe, other than in England.

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Football league? What is this league you speak of, I know of no such league?

Football is nothing to do with me.. only team worth supporting are Real Madrid surely?

16. Bruce Lindfield

I ama big fan of the football league and have supported Brighton for over 30 years - I have seen them get up to the top division, the FA Cup final etc and also down to the bottom and the very brink of going out of the league!! :eek:

I must have seen every English league team in that time - and quite a few who are no longer in the league or don't even exist any more!

The first and the best Football League in the world!! :)

[Real Madrid - pah! - big money, johnny-come- latelys!! :spit: ]

17. hmmm, my girlfriend is doing a bunch of really advanced piano theory, and theres german stuff shes having trouble with, maybe this thread will help, make sure someone else replies so i get a link please and thanks