H.E. Woolsey Strings first impression

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Jun 14, 2005.

1. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I just got these strings today. They are pretty interesting so far. They are about the same thickness as the Eurosonic Ultra Lights that I was using. The G is a bit thicker and the other strings are a bit thinner I think than the Eurosonics.

They sound very much like gut. The G and D especially. All 4 strings are a very even tension. The E and A are steel and the G and D I belive are aluminum wrapped on a synthetic material, but they sound good together-very even.

They were $190. So that is a lot of money, but I think alot of bassists here especially those who like like gut might like these.

I am going to give them a week or so and see how they settle in. Right now they are a little too boomy for what I like. They have a big fundamental, but I like some growl and a singing sound, so I will see how they turn out.

As far as arco goes, these are the best arco strings I have ever used. For sure. They have kind of a gut sound, but very smooth and very easy to play.

You can only get these strings by calling H. E. Woolsey at Boaz Music in L.A. (310-559-1213)

You can't order them of his website, and I don't know if he uses email. He is an older man, who designed and made these strings himself.
  2. massimobio

Apr 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    If you've ever tried the Velvet Anima could you compare to them please?
    Size, feel, sound, etc.
  3. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I have tried the Animas. I think people who like the Animas would definately like these. They are about the same thickness, but have a little more tension which lets you have lower action. One of the main things that I didn't like about the Animas was that I had to have higher action than I like because the tension was so low. These are definately low tension strings though.

I think they are a little too thumpy for me pizz wise. They feel nice and sound great with the bow. They are probably the loudest strings I have used for both arco and pizz.

These are for sure an alternative to Animas, Obligatos, and Gut strings. I don't think they are what I am looking for though, so if anyone is interested PM me.