Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

H&K BassBase 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, I found one of these locally. Now I love my Ampeg, but I'm looking for something different. I really dug the sounds I got out of this amp, it seems to be very versatile. I'm pretty sure Brad has one, but I'm not sure. Is there any info you guys could tell me about this?

Thanks,
    Scott D.

2. I have it for 5 years and haven't found anything more versatile than this.
    Power section is massive, it has a tube preamp, but very clean (can't get much distortion out of it (like ampeg). The eq might be a bit confusing at start, but once you go through the manual, the whole tone pallete just explodes!
    I plugged in 300-3000$ worth of basses in, and it made each of them unique, and I've been able to mask the weak elements in a second. In a band with 2 guitarsts, synth and drums, I need a lot of bottom end, which this amp provides effortlessly.
    In USA this amp isn't used so much, because it is ultra expensive, in Europe (it is made in Germany) this head is quite common.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Keep groovin'

Jure

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What's the power rating @ 8 ohms? Is $599 a good deal for this amp?

4. It pumps 400 watts in 8ohms and 650watts in 4 ohms. It also has "dynaclip technology" - extra 100watts for increased headroom.

That's a great price (if you like the amp, of course). But do try it first with you bass and cabinet, if possible.

Are you sure it's the BB600? There is also BB400 in existance -actually more common, which has less power and only one channel.

You can get more info and the manual at

www.hughes-and-kettner.com

Hope this helps.

Jure

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nope, it's the 600. Dual channels, says "BassBase 600" on the front... :). It looks to be an older one, more dark than the ones on the H&K website, and the face lights up really awesomly.

6. Yes, the first run (50 or so) had a black front panel, but the interior is the same. Those lights are awesome, I agree.

You might get a footswitch too, for changing channels and activating the fx loop.

Well, if my amp was stolen, I'd buy another for 600$ without much thinking, so...

I liked it the first time, and the feel is still the same after 5 years. I've changed the tube inside last years as an experiment and liked it.

So, have you decided yet?

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think I'm going to go after it. I played it through an Aggie 112, (with my bass) and it sounded great. I easily came up with many great, usable tones. I really love a good clean sound, which this amp does great. I love the 3 stage gain meter... when it hits "Tube Saturation" it just sounds great. I've got to sell my current amp to pay for this, and I already have a buyer... so, I'm going to try and put it on hold. Thanks for your help. Oh-Do you know how old the black-face ones are?

Peace,
    Scott D.

8. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    So I realize this is 8 years on, but any of you know where I might get one of these? Been searching for a while now.

9. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Bootsy used these for a while. They are VERY nice. Got to try one out in Kenosha some time ago.