H&K Fortress vs Demeter VTBP-201

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intrepid, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Whats some opinions on these two preamps...I looked at the Fortress earlier in the year and it has alot of features...unfortunately I won't be able to play it until I buy it...on the otherhand, I've been actually saving up my money for a Demeter...is its tone just that sweet? Lack of control worries me a bit, especially since I have a passive bass. If I do get the Demeter, I'll be buying something like an Aguilar outboard preamp. Price isn't too much of a worry, but when your hitting up into the $700, it starts to hurt the wallet.
  2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just received my 201 a few weeks ago and have found it to be the best sound (for me) that I've ever heard. I think it's plenty adjustable and in my short experience with it (plus a Crest LT1500 and two Aguilar GS112s), it sounds simply amazing.
    This is the first "pre+power amp" system that I've used, but after playing a lot of other gear over the last 17 years, this is totally what I've been after.
    Highly recommended. Just my two cents.
  3. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ive played the fortress, but not the demeter. the fortress was REALLY bass heavy, and i had trouble getting a smooth sound on the top end, though some of that might have been due to the hartke cab i was running at the time. even so, once i got used to the preamp, i was enjoying the sound i got from it, so....i dont know what the heck im talking about anymore:D
  4. My passive basses and active bass sound superb through my 201s. True the passive basses need a little more volumne, but sound wonderful. I tweaked up the internal volumne pot by popping the cover off. You can do this if you want too. I just found the spot that made my basses sound the best. Great pre. Hook it up to a nice power amp and a Bergantino HT-212 and you'll really be happenin'!
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I really love the Demeter.......but if you have basses that need EQing, it might not be the preamp for you.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    in which case, you'd just buy a parametric, and still have that VTBP goodness... ;)