Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

H&K Quantum combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 3, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just played the 15 and 2x10 versions of these new combos in a store. They sounded really great and was a joy to lift. They felt and looked to be well made.
    Has anyone used one or heard how they behave in a real life situation. The test in the store cant tell me that. But if they can hold up alone in a band setting I´ve got serious GAS cause their tone was really good.

2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    unfortunately H&k doesnt' get much love or attention in general on this forum. I've been hunting for a used bassbase600 for about two years now with no luck. The quantum amps look really cool, and i'd be very interested to try one, but I can't even find new H&K stuff around here. Maybe its like asking how the food is during the thanksgiving dinner. Everybody's mouth is too full of goodness to say how good it is.

3. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    400 watts... come on that should be enough for most live situations.. if not, there's a di out on the back.

I've got the 15 combo but I'd say try to get the 12. I didn't like the 210... not really enough bottom for my taste. The 15 is rather fast for a 15 but I guess the 12 would be THE perfect compromise between bottom and attack.
    I've bought mine for 1200€ but now that the price has dropped to 900 they're really a GREAT deal and the 12 should be even cheaper.
    Some random thoughts:
    The quantum series seems to be H&K's take on the ampeg tone.
    The tube growl (which is a compressor actually) really helps to cut through and sounds great. The tube you see through the window only does the phase splitting for the eq.
    You can crank all the eq knobs without getting mud.
    The frequencies the treble/presence control create aren't really audible with the built-in speaker, but they are there, try headphones or recording. That said, the highs which are audible are SUPERsmooth.
    Try setting main to about 3 o'clock, eq flat, tube growl between 1 and 2 o'clock, gain about 12 o'clock.... sweet :)

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Im aiming for the 15 inch version although the 210 sounded really good too. I have always prefered bigger speakers. I dont think a 1x12 could cut it in my band.

5. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Tjena Jock!

H&K Quantum sounds great! I have recently tried both the 15" and 2x10"combo (QC 421). The 2x10"combo sounds much better IMO. But you need to add an extension cab to cut through. However, Quantum is one of the best combos I've ever tried.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tack Larzon!
    How loud can you play with the QC 421?
    Can it hold up against a loud drummer and guitarists?
    Im aiming for the 1x15 because I don´t want to use an extension cab.

7. i tried one out, it was the 210 and it sounded pretty good, nice and tight but nothin the gk gk 1001rb-II/210 couldnt do.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im bumping this old thread to see if anyone else has something to ad. Anything...

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    One last bump ;)

10. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm also interested in H&K amps. I played some old combo and loved it. Anybody has more info on these amps?

11. ingo62

ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
    Hi everybody,
    I live in Germany and the Quantums are -no wonder- quite common here. They are lightweight, very powerful -it's no problem to play with a loud drummer- and feature a more "Ampeg-like", sound with lots of mids. If you like that, it's your amp, if you want lightweight but more open sounding try MarkBass :)

Greets
    Ingo