1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

H. K. Schmidt Carved Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kurtsnyder, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Hi everyone. I sold my bass a few years ago and I'm finally in a position to be able to get one again. I came across someone selling an H. K. Schmidt bass. They say it's fully carved and was made about 10 years ago. They're asking just under $3000. It's a very nice looking bass, but I can't seem to find any info whatsoever on this particular brand. Does anybody know anything about these bases?

Thanks!

2. Chinese mystery meat. You can get better for $3k.

wathaet and kurtsnyder like this.
  3. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    OK, thanks for the heads up. That would explain why I couldn't find a single thing about it, anywhere. I'll definitely keep looking!

4. If no one is talking about a brand and their experience with those products, that says a lot.

kurtsnyder likes this.
  5. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of these just surfaced on C'list on the Left Coast - perhaps having broken off from that great, circling mass of trash in the Pacific...To be fair, it looks like a bass. It was made in Korea - but that country got rid of it. One wishes the seller good luck, and the buyer even better luck.

6. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    “H.K. Schmidt” isn’t even a manufacturer. It’s a label trademarked by a music store in Southern California, which they slap on otherwise-nameless instruments from a variety of sources. Probably no accident they chose a name that sounds as German as possible.

$3,000 for one? I’ve seen used Shen SB 200, also fully carved, for around the same price.

7. Elateok

Elateok

Dec 5, 2018
    Ok so I was actually looking on info on the possible west coast H.K Schmidt. What does fully carved mean? Also this dude is asking 2400 for it. Any insight is appreciated

8. Elateok

Elateok

Dec 5, 2018
    I think I just saw the same one. 2400 right?

I'm looking to get my son one but I'm not hip to all the details. Any help is appreciated. What does fully carved mean?

9. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    "Carved" means the woods used to form the body are solid pieces - not laminated (= not plywood).
    Generally, carved basses have a mellower, more refined sound than laminated ones.
    But from the conversations here, it seems this "Schmidt" is a cheaply-made import with no discrenible track record. If you want to PM me, I can recommend some alternatives in Southern California.