1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

H22 Dearmond Bass Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zorf, Sep 19, 2010.

1. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    Did a search but didn't find what i was looking for, which is;

How does the dearmond h22 pickup differ from the other dearmond guitar pickups?

Do they have 4 pole pieces, or are they just a bar style?

Is the string spacing critical with these?

Are there other pickups that give a similar sound?

this is for a homemade hollow body project similar to a harmony h-22.

thanks.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think the main difference is they have a bigger magnet which makes them bigger across the strings, and wider too. They're probably like the regular gold foils which have a .2" tall coil of 44 awg wrapped around a rubber magnet. I have two DeArmond bass pickups; the H22 reads 12.67K; the H25 style (has screw poles) reads 9.78K. I'm pretty sure they're all wound ccw and with south up.

I've never been inside one so I'm guessing at everything other than the south, ccw, and DCR readings.

I'm going to fake it with a couple of Peavey ceramic Strat bar magnets and 43 (don't have any 44) on a project bass when I get around to it. Unlike HB bars, the wide edges on the Strat bars are north and south.

Edit: Pic of the H25 type pickup on a different project. It's going to stay there...the tape is temporary fo testing.

Ductapeman likes this.
  3. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    interesting.

I'd sure like to see one deconstructed.
    Are you pretty sure they used the rubber ferrite magnets
    on these and not the alnicos?

Would you mind throwing up a photo or two if you get around to making your pickup?

thanks for the helpful comments.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    It's an assumption, I have no reason to believe the H22 pickups are anything other than oversized gold foils, but I could be 100% wrong.

That project bass that I'll make the pickups for is WAY down on my priority list, have no idea when it'll happen.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I love those gold foils. I need to start making them... I have several big rolls of 44 gage wire. :)

I like that bass... those Guild humbuckers are underrated.

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Yes, ceramic magnets. Ceramics get a bad rep, but they great for bass.

Here's a Dearmond-Rowe from a Harmony.

Attached Files:

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I like the gold foils too. They're among my favorite pickups.

Thanks. The Guild pickup has been reworked from a 36K HB to something like a 8.6K single coil (to match the Kay pickup). That bass had a Kay pickup by the neck and the Guild just overpowered it so much. It was difficult to balance the volumes...I think because the the magnet in the Kay was so far from the strings it sounded muffled even when as high as it could go; and the then Guild would have to be lowered because it's so powerful. I like what's on there now a lot better than the Kay pickup, and now I kinda wish I hadn't screwed with the HB.

8. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    Hey David,

So just so i know what is in your photo,

Is that the bottom of the pickup, and is it just a wide flat

rectangle with windings and no pole pieces?

Glen,

yeah sometimes better to just leave well enough alone.

cool looking bass, though.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks, Zorf. I know what you mean, but it wasn't "well enough" in the first place. I tried it stock; then with just one coil (about 18K); then with one coil and one magnet (it has two); then one coil with a different magnet...all in an effort to tame it down a bit. Then I tried to unwind some wire and that's when I screwed it up, so I rewound that coil to about 8.6K to match the other pickup. I like the sound now best of all the other ways I tried it. It needed a big pickup for that location because someone had cut the body (it's a guitar body) for a HB and there was a big hole there.

I can't speak for David, but that pickup in his pic looks like a guitar pickup missing the thin piece of plastic on top (top bobbin). The top is up in the pic.

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You could have also tried wiring the humbucker in parallel.

What did you do to it that can't be undone?

I had to do something similar to my Gibson mudbucker. I unwound it down to about 12K so it would mix better with my Bartolini Hi-A on my Rick.

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's the top of the pickup that faces the strings. The black rectangle is the magnet. No pole pieces, and two rivets to hold the cover on.

The Burns Tri-Sonics are made the same way, but they have a steel base plate under the magnet. I don't know if the baseplate on the Dearmond-Rowe is steel. I had some gold foils from a Silvertone, but I don't have them anymore.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Nothing really, the coil could be rewound to 18K with 43 to put it about where it was. I'm going to leave it like it is, no plans to change it back.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021