1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HA3000 laid down today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fivestring99, Oct 20, 2013.

1. fivestring99

fivestring99 Old Timer

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    After all my bragging about my little Hartke rig, the head laid down at rehearsal today. Intermittent contact at the input with lots of scratching, popping and very little sound. We stuck my little backup GK RB400IV on top and away we went. Guess I'll bring some contact cleaner home tomorrow and hope for the best. I was growing quite fond of that HA3000 after putting it back in the rack last month. I bought it in 2005 and it's never given me a lick of trouble until today.

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Cleaning contact points is from normal wear and tear. You'd need to change your car tires after eight years too!

3. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Could just be a bad input jack. It happens.....Cables get step on or pulled at, and the contacts bend a little. Cleaner will help if it's at the pot where the scratching is, but not so much if the contacts are loose. Good luck...

4. fivestring99

fivestring99 Old Timer

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    The symptoms were the same despite which input I used, regular or padded. So the pot idea sounds like the place to start.

5. I can about guarantee that it's a broken solder joint on one of the pots.

6. fivestring99

fivestring99 Old Timer

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    Which is beyond my skill level. Never was much of a hand with a soldering iron. She's probably going to the shop.

7. Well, the good news is that if I'm right it shouldn't cost you much to have it fixed. It's probably a very simple repair.
    I've had the exact symptoms you've described with two different amps over the years and it was a broken joint on a pot connection both times.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Contact cleaner should fix the scratchy pods. I've had the same problem with my gk 700rb-II. it was irritating that the scratchy pods keep cutting out my sounds. thankfully contact cleaner fixed up the scratchy pods and everything was pretty clear.

9. fivestring99

fivestring99 Old Timer

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    Thanks for all the input. We'll try the cleaner tonight. If that doesn't do it, it's off to Austin.