Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Habitat for Humanity - Who does it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 3, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sunday morning at 6:00 AM I'll be on a van on my way to Robbins, Tennessee to work on Habitat for Humanity, a new build and we're supposed to be framing. This is my first time working with Habitat, but I've always done this sort of thing in the same area with my Church youth group and love it.

Who else does HFH work? Any good stories?

Oh, I'm also the trip's chef, and photographer. I'll be a busy guy.

Fortunately, and unfortunately, I'll have no internet down there. I can't see what's up with you guys, but I'll sleep a bit more ;)

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it Tim , May God's blessings be with you in this noble work. :)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As long as I don't get more blisters, I'll be fine :)

4. did it once

weird eh?

last one ya' woulda' expected

come one

admit it

5. This balances out the negative reputation earned by stealing snapple from the YMCA.

Still not joking

I don't knoe what to think about myself

6. m2o03

m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Iowa
    i've worked HFH before, it was fun; i don't really have any stories other than the fact that someone (not intending to harm anyone) brazed someones arm with a nail that was projected from an air nail gun...that could have been really bad...

anyway, i don't mind the work and enjoy staying out of trouble, so what better to do than help others? the people i've helped build houses for have been more than appreciative...makes a guy feel good. anyway, have fun and be safe, bro

Mike

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I do it. Acutally, I coordinate between HFH and Navy volunteers.

8. A few years ago, I did Habitat for Humanity every weekend with my girlfriend. It was a lot of fun and it was a great experience all around. I regret not doing it now, but I hear that at least at UF, the local Habitat chapter is booked solid with groups doing service that they're often over-staffed.

My story isn't great, but when we started to be noticed as "regulars," we often were put working under the same team leader, Dick. He was a really nice, older gentleman and as my girlfriend and I were often doing vinyl siding, sawfit (spelling???), and J-channel, he nick-named us the "J-Crew." Silly? Yes, but it was a great experience working with Habitat. I wish I still did it and should probably put my words into actions and take it up on Saturday mornings.

Finally, one of the funniest things I heard while at Habitat was something a regular guy told us after we found that some areas we were working around needed to be redone. He said, "Here at Habitat, we do - then re-do."

9. MAJOR METAL

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesome, went down with a crew of 8 kids and one chaperone. Partied hard the night before, really got to know each other. Budweiser is a major ice breaker... LOL. Left at 6 AM, half the bus was hung over, but we survived, got to the lodge and were pleasantly surprised.

The house we worked on was nearly complete, just some finishing work. One guy and I laid the floor in the kitchen, then I did some detail woodwork on the porch 'cause everyone else was afraid to use power tools. After the detail work was done, we went home on Tuesday and Wednesday was our day off (I really wasn't looking for a day off, I was there to work my butt off) but we went to Knoxville to chill for a day. Not much to do really, so two guys, a girl and I went to Barley's (rated #1 bar in the USA by Playboy in December 2001) then ate dinner at another pub, and went back to the middle of nowhere.

Thursday and Friday we framed, sheathed and sided a shed. While I was up on the roof for the roof joists the girls sided, we sheathed the roof and we finished roofing it. Overall, a lot of work, but less efficient than I had hoped.

Lo and behold, I'd definately do it again, and again.

It was a weekend of screwing, nailing, laying and pounding. And I couldn't complain.

11. MAJOR METAL

Good for you Tim , welcome back :) . PS You have your whole future ahead of you why dont you start drinking good beer ;) :D

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, Bud's much a step up from the garbage we get at college. Natural Light and Beast just don't cut it.

13. please tell me you are talking about the house ;)

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, thats actually what we're getting on our shirts.

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've done it...no interesting stories though.:meh:

Marshall

16. TPylons, you're in Yuengling country at college. Pony up and buy it, it's made like 20 minutes south of there, and is damn tasty.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know, Yuengling is great, I rock the tshirts often. Only difference is it's much more expensive. If I'm going to enjoy beer, it'll be Yuengling, if I'm going to pound a few down, its Bud for me.

18. MAJOR METAL

We had tons of Yuengling in Scranton , everywhere you turned their it was.