Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hackneyed question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sin, Dec 4, 2004.

1. sin

sin

Dec 4, 2004
    I want to purchase a bass off of musiciansfriend.com because of their convenient payment-options. I recently got a job, so I can afford anything below $2,000; however, this does not mean that I would want to spend $2,000, as price is always an important factor to consider. I want something capable of(if played correctly)expressing the darkest human emotions, something different with a lot of punch. I would prefer a fretted 5-string bass. The Spector Euro 5 LX 5-String really caught my attention. I'm not entirely sure though. Any suggestions?

2. sin

sin

Dec 4, 2004
  3. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    That is a great bass but I am not to happy with the way that EMG pickups sound, they are too harsh. That bass would sound great with bartolinis and and aguilar preamp!

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    If you want puch I would try out a warwick thumb, a stingray 5, or a peavy cirrus!!

5. sin

sin

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks...anyone else want to help me out here?

6. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I would go with a p-bass, or an EB-0

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mud city, short scale, and cheap. The man has up to $2,000 to spend here, not $200.

With your description, I'd say go with a nice Warwick and toss in Bartolini pickups and preamp. If you get a Warwick used (eBay, local store, etc.) this will fall right into your budget. If you can get a pre-98 one, great -- they stopped using wenge and switched to ovankol for the necks, and according to Warwick nuts, they've never been the same. The new ones are still great, but the ones before were golden -- and if you can get one pre-mass-produced, then you've got a totally amazing, stellar, give-it-to-me-even-though-I-don't-like-Warwicks ubercool bass.

One thing to consider is necks -- both Spectors and Warwicks have pretty chunky, round necks. Also, Warwicks can also be found in the military for use as boat anchors.