Had a brush today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I wasn't feeling very well this morning so I took a couple of hours extra to make it into work. As I was traveling on the last divided thoroughfare before getting to my work, I was approached by a car weaving down the wrong side of the road. I spotted him about 300 yards ahead of me and, at first, it was sheer confusion as to whether he was actually on my side of the road. In the split second it took to decide that he really WAS on the wrong side, we had closed the distance between us and he veered directly towards my car. I was at about 50 mph and I swerved left, rolling up a wide sloped concrete divider and back down onto the road as he passed within a foot of my truck. As I glanced back in my rear view mirror, I was just in time to see him hit the driver behind me head on.

I skidded to a stop in a turn lane and ran back to the accident. The idiot drunk was out of his BMW just looking at the wreck as I came running up. As I called him a stupid GD MF'er he was just shrugging and saying "I"m sorry, I'm sorry". I turned my attention to the other driver. He was in a Ford Ranger truck and his airbag deployed in the collision. He was concious but very dazed and unresponsive as I asked him through the window if he was alright. Seeing him at that point, I didn't have any confidence that he was going to be able to help himself but I felt I needed to extract him from the vehicle because the crash damage was quite extensive and very hot leaving the possibility of fire my big concern. I yanked open the door and went down a list in my head of possible injuries before I attempted any movement. He had a broken left arm, probably a broken collar bone or shoulder, and a well gashed right knee. He finally was able to speak that he was alright to move and I was able to get him out of the truck and to the side of the road. The driver was getting shocky so I got my jacket around him and another large towel from my truck. It was several more minutes before police and EMT's arrived and I assisted with their triage and getting the driver on a backboard for transportation. No, I'm not an EMT but I've had a lot of first aid training and I'm not afraid to use it when needed.

The driver of the BMW was immediately charged with DUI resulting in an accident and I'm the sole witness. I've been subpoened to appear and I want to make sure I nail this bastard. Drunk at 11 am is going to be the last fun this puke has for awhile.
  2. Too right! I can't stand idiot drivers.
  3. Wow, that is horrible. Nail him. People that are that careless and irresponsible deserve whats coming to them. He could have easily killed someone. Glad youre OK though. How is the other driver doing? :rollno:
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Glad you're all right, Alan, and good on you that you took the time to go back, help the other driver and help get this idiot off the streets.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Good Job Alan :) , how are you feeling?
  6. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hambone if you weren't there something worse could have happen. Very nice to see you help a fellow person, hope you nail that bastard.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very inspirational/scary story, thanks for sharing :)
  8. I'm fine guys, thanx - aside from a boatload of nervous energy expended! Needless to say though, I was useless at work for the rest of the afternoon.:rolleyes:
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd love to share in your hopes that he'll get his hide nailed to the wall, but I live in Ga., just like you, and........
    anyway, the drunk ass cow that killed my friend got 4+ months, so I'm not holding out too much hope for this guy. For the record, I believe that DUI's should be capital offenses.
  10. Holy crap, that's amazing.

Glad to hear you're all right. I probably would have pounded the guy and went to jail as a result.

Scum bags like that deserve getting the book thrown at them. Good thing you will be there to make sure he gets what's coming to him.

You are going to post back and let us know what he gets, Right?
    I hope the guy in the Ranger turns out okay. Any word on his condition?
  11. To tell you the truth, I didn't even get the guy's name. :scowl: But I'm sure he's OK and quite a bit stove-up from the jostle.

I'll be sure to let you know what the outcome is.

This happened in Doraville which is pretty well known for tough enforcement. But how it all plays out in court when the lawyers get ahold of it is anyone's guess.
  12. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Man, that's one of my biggest fears- a drunk hitting me head-on. That's one of the reasons I drive with my eyes about five or six cars down the road. I don't worry as much about what is coming up behind me, though I do stay aware. I have been surprised when driving along at 70 to have donorcycles scream past me at speeds approaching Mach 1, though! I'm really glad you stopped to render aid- I've seen far too many selfish bastards see an accident, then do absolutely nothing, or worse yet, start honking at someone who is completely dazed. The drunk should get reamed!!! I can't find any excuse in my mind that anyone should be driving around drunk, let alone at 11AM! In some countries, the penalty would be an immediate dose of lead, applied to the cranium. That bastard needs a stiff dose of reality. Let us know what transpires...let's hope he doesn't get away with time served and a couple Al-Anon meetings. That would be a true injustice.

BTW- one of my other biggest fears is a mid-air collision. I've actually seen a guy fly drunk once. Not cool. Didn't know he was drunk until I saw him stagger into the air...Folks, alcohol and vehicles of any type don't mix!
  13. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    You're a damn good man, Hambone! There is a reason why you didn't get hit by that Beemer clown...

Woodchuck's comment intrigues me, as he seems to imply that Georgia can be rather lenient with drunk drivers. I grew up in Texas, but I've been calling Hawaii home for 27 years now. Anyway, back in the day when I was living in Texas, drunk driving was pretty much a slap on the wrist. Drinking while driving was actually legal, or at least there was no law against it... i.e.: you could actually get pulled over for speeding, and you could have an open can of beer in your hand... and sipping on it... while the cop is writing you up! As long as you weren't obviously impaired in the eyes of the officer... you could go on your merry way. :confused:

Boy have times changed. MADD is headquartered in the city I grew up in... Irving. Texas now has some of the toughest DUI laws throughout the country. So, had your heart-wrenching experience happened in Texas, 'ol Beemer Bozo would be behind bars right now.

Does anyone recall the former Dallas Cowboy, Dwayne Goodrich? Back in 2003, he was flying down I-35 in his BMW in excess of 100 mph, and took out three good samaritans helping the victim of a completely different accident. Two of those hapless souls were killed. It seems 'ol Dwayne just kept on going... never stopped. According to witnesses, there were no skid marks, nor did he make any attempt to slow down, let alone stop and render aid. Goodrich later turned himself into authorities after he realized they were looking for him. In a trial in August of 2003, Goodrich was convicted of criminally negligent homicide, and sentenced to 7-1/2 years in prison. It was never determined whether he was too much under the influence at the time of the accident, but it was known that he had come from one of those 'gentlemen's clubs.'

God bless you, Hambone... :)
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thank goodness you're OK.

My prayers go out to the driver of the Ford Ranger.
  15. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good to hear you're ok, dude...

Hambone-builder of Hambone Basses/helper of the needy/nailer of drunk criminals!
  16. Man, I'm glad to see you're alright Hammy.. I think that's one hell of a thing you did, going back to see if victim was alright, way to go man, you're like a hero now!

I hope the BMW guy is nailed.. How dare he destroy a Beemer!!! (j/k) But serisously, drunk at 11am??? I don't know if thats dedication, or stupidity.

17. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Puts a lot into perspective, at least for the next little bit, doesn't it Hambone?
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think I would have jacked him once in the face. I doubt he would remember when he sobers up anyway.

19. Wow....
    People drive bad enough sober, let alone with a few drinks in them!
    The world is a better place because of you, Hambone! Glad you're alright.
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Glad you avoided getting tagged. I hope the idiot gets what is coming ot him.