1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Had a very interesting audition last night...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ron Plichta, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    And I'm hoping it works out. I answered a Craigslist ad that was looking for a bassist to be as much of the "social" part of the band as well as musically proficient. I talked with the guitarist and it sounded like he was looking for something beyond the average cover band as far as music selection and band interactions go. It sounded intriguing and so we scheduled an audition for last night.

Bottom line, I was pleased with what I heard. The drummer is really good (we goofed a bit on some Rush and Zeppelin), the guitarist is more skilled in jazz than he he is in rock and the singer (female0 has a pretty good alto voice. We did the three "audition" songs and then jammed around on Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic and Girl from Ipanema. It was challenging, to say the least and my ear got a workout.

We chatted a little after the audition ended and I got a better feel for the social aspect. The guitarist and singer also want to do some acoustic gigs and asked if I owned an acoustic bass. I told them I have a double bass, but am rusty with it. They were still pleased to hear that. Also, they want to do some fusion improvisation, so that will challenge my theory. And of course, they'll do the requisite cover songs for gigs.

No one directly offered me an invitation to join, but the conversation seem to imply that I was strongly in the running. I guess being able to fake my way through Pretzel Logic when none of their prior bassists couldn't helped. :bassist: They asked for a songlist from my old band and said they'd put me on the band's e-mail list. I also got an offer to return for a future rehearsal. Al lof this sounds good to me because I'd like to expand my jazz chops and well as gain proficiency on the double bass. Stay tuned.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    When you talk about the social aspect, what do you mean specifically?

3. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    From what I can gather, the band is probably as much playing for the fun of it as much as it is a gigging band. They're looking for interactions a little more than musical ability. But it's still early to tell how the exact dynamics will happen.

One thing is certain - the social part does not involve illicit drugs. That's fine with me since I don't want to jeopardize my security clearance.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Interactions with the crowd while playing?

5. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    With each other.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just figured that was normal, if you can't interact with each other how would a band even work?

7. I've played in so many bands where it's been a job. Having to adjust to other members quirks and personalities can definitely be a challenge. Compromising your vision to be in a regular band can really dent your enthusiasm.

But, man... once you find the right guys, it's MAGIC! Getting along as friends and making music together is the best! It took me YEARS to find the right bunch of guys and it's rarer than rocking horse dung.

Best of luck, man! Hope it clicks for ya.

8. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA

Tell me about it. My last band was that right fit of "characters" with the right amount of chops to gig well. We'd sometimes spend half our workdays e-mailing each other on a variety of topics that usually headed for the gutter in no time. Fridays nights started with a swig of bourbon and then we were into it. That unfortunately ended when the singer had a job relocation and two others develped some health issues.

This band sounds like they're not all about gigging, but hanging around for music's sake. I don't need to gig every weekend and so I'm happy there. I'll be really happy if the jaz/acoustic stuff comes to fruition since that would challenge me quite a bit.

9. TBrett

TBrett

Nov 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Please bump this thread with an update and let us know how it goes. It's great to hear when someone finds the right folks to work with!