1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Had an "Aw, shucks" moment last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stratovani, Aug 6, 2012.

1. I got a call from our keyboard player last night to discuss some band business, and we were talking about singing and playing our instruments. I happen to let out that I thought my bass playing wasn't anything to write home to Mom about, and he says, "Are you kidding? You're the best bass player I've ever played with!" I was really taken aback! Now, he's been in the local music biz for a good 30 years or so, so either I'm that good or all the other bass players he's played with in Central Mass are that bad! I was really humbled by it and it made all the hard work to get to this point well worth it. But no resting on my laurels for this kid, I've still got a ton of stuff to learn, easily a lifetime's worth. :D

2. Feels good doesn't it. In my band we have a Guitar/Keyboard/Sax player. He grew up in a musical household and went to school for music. IMO he is super talented, humble and driven. I my self am self taught and "average" at best in my own mind. After a recent gig we were talking about musicians we have played with locally and he said I was one of the top two bass players in town. I know I have a long way to go, but that really validated the hard work I have been putting in.

3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    You would be surprised how an in the pocket steady bassist is perceived. I too am not a flashy player at all. No slappin' or poppin' for me, but I am solid and steady. That seems to go over much better than a flash in the pan.

4. I guess so! That's all I'm looking to do, play in the pocket, lock in with the drummer and support the song. Still lots of room for improvement, but it's good to know I'm appreciated. That's worth more to me than gold!

5. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    +1 to that. I hear musicians all over complain about their bassist overplaying. A meat and potatoes player is desirable over a virtuoso the vast majority of the time.