1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Had an epic jam last night...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Last night me and some of my friends had a massive jam for a few hours. People were jumping in and out and there wasn't always this much going on but at its peak there was two drummers on two kits, two basses (my 5r fretted warwick and my friend with a fretless 4 string p bass), 3 guitars.

I had a really good time! I liked having my time to sit back and also to jump up for a solo/lead section. I also really liked the way there would get to be a few 'mini jams' going on every now an then with maybe a bit of call and response between basses or guitar and a drummer.

The kind of stuff we were playing was a bit mars volta - esque, obviously not of that calibour! But that sort of feel.

I did have one problem though, for a while there was just me on bass, the two drummers (who were tight) and three guitarists. Two of them were soloing, excessively but tastefully and giving each other room. But the other guitar was playing quite quietly but still loud enough to be noticed and was not really playing anything that fitted with the rest of what was going on. I found myself feeling lost because I wanted to lay down something solid under the solos but I was finding it really hard to play tight with the other guitar taking the rhythm role. The stuff he was playing was quite cordal but in a weird time and was changing in odd places and I really struggled trying to keep the groove going.

What would you guys have done in this situation?

2. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Fall back on the kickdrum, yousaid you had 2? Then Kick on one and Hi-hat on the other.

3. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    2 drummers and 3 guitarists? I would have gotten the hell out of there before someone got hurt. :D

4. slipknot?

allman brothers?

LARGE BANDS

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    this isn't a regular occurance btw, it was one of the guitarists birthdays and all he wanted to do was get all his mates to have a few beers an a jam together!

6. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    I have the same problem, actually the last time we did this we had 2 bassists (myself and someone else) was fun but we were just doing classic rock, I can't imagine something like mars volta...anyhow, I tend to stick to the bass line, you're going to be overshadowed unless you overpower everyone else via volume.

As for that specific question, honestly, the guitarist should be playing tight to you, not the other way around. You and the drummer form the rythm section.

2 drummers
    2 bassists
    way too many guitar players

7. I've jammed in a setting with 1 drummer, 1 bassist, 4 guitarists (2 competing for solo's and changing keys on call out) and 2 vocalists.

I just locked in with the drummer best I could and prayed it would end soon :D :D

8. jamfree

jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    Words of wisdom. When mega jams get complicated, you, on the bass, get simple. It'll work.

9. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    cheers for all this

10. Now that`s the thing I`ve always wished to try. Glad for you :)

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    =) that part was fun it must be said