1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Had Les Claypool always used Carl Thompson Basses?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    At least throughout his career with Primus? Really digging his tone on Frizzle Fry and to my ears it sounds different from his later tone(s). Did a search and couldn't find a solid answer.

2. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I think he has played a Fender Jazz. Not sure on the details.

3. thought he always used the CTs in Primus except for the rare use of the aforementioned Jazz Bass.

4. Steve9842008

Steve9842008

Jul 20, 2008
    Green Naugahyde was recorded mostly on the new bass he has, the one made by Dan Maloney. The dobro is on there for a few tracks though, of course.

He's used his rickenbacker on some solo stuff, like on David Makalaster.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I seem to recall that Frizzle Fry was mostly his fretted CT 4 string, before he switched to the six-string fretless CT sound on Seas of Cheese.

Of course they were also recorded at different studios, which has a huge impact on tone.

6. He had a thang either before or at the same time as Primus called Sausage (with Jay Lane on drums) and he played a Fender Jazz in the videos I've seen.

Got my son a ticket for the 3D tour coming through Portland in May. I'm passing this time because I'm a cheap old fart.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sausage was the original Primus lineup, and he did an album with them some time during Primus' heyday. He said he used the Jazz back then so he did the album with the Jazz. I saw old video with the old lineup and he was using the CT 4-string, though. He also used a Tune fretless 6-string to record Sailing The Seas Of Cheese because his CT 6-string wasn't done. But he's used different CT's throughout his recordings, so naturally they would sound a little different, though they all sound like Les to me.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Watch the Winona's beaver video. Also he used a ric somewhere.