1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Had my ABM500 modded!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Aug 31, 2008.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey guys. I recently had my ABM500 sent to Walter Harley to have it modded to sound clearer. A lack of brightness or top end has been a complaint of many folks who own this great head and I am no exception.

I found out from Walter's last e-mail that my hunch about the amps design was correct. There is a 6db low end boost and a steep high frequency cut off (3.5khz) built in to the circuit. Walter Changed some component values to correct this as well as to remove some less than desirable interaction between some other circuits. Before he ships the amp back to me, he is going to try reducing the overall distortion of the output circuit if possible. All of this for a very reasonable price. I'll let you know how this awsome amp has changed once it is in my possesion.

2. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    That's great! I too found my ABM500 a bit dark when I had it. With a few mods it could change a great head into a wonderful sounding head.

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The modded abm500 showed up this morning so I snuck out of work to make sure that it wasn't left out in the rain......and to give it a quick test.:smug:

In the 2 minutes that I took to plug it into my nv610 and nl-210 cabs I could tell that it was at the very least brighter. The nv610 sounds really good with the amp now! After work I will be getting a good cup of coffee and sitting down with this bad boy. I'll post an update after.

4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Interesting!

I have a first gen ABM 500 EVO head (not the EVOII), and love the head, but found as others have that it is a bit dark...I would be very interested in hearing more about this mod...