Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Had my first Benavente Experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 15, 2005.

1. I went into my local GC to pickup a Boss ME-50B.. While walking around I look in the bass section.. What do I see?? A used Benavente Vortex.

http://www.benaventeguitars.com/bass.htm

Its looks EXACTLY like the first one on that page.. I mean EXACTLY, even the grain (which I stared at for a good 5 minutes). Might be the same one, I dunno.

Anyways, plugged it into a GK 2X10 combo. Started playing and my face just went :eek: . This has to be one of the best basses I have played to date. I was playing some standard slap stuff that I play on all of the basses to compare the sound. I heard notes coming out of that bass that I dont think I've ever heard before :) Everything was crystal clear.

I dont know how else to explain it. It was almost a religious experience :) It was simply a beautiful sound bass.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played one of his super-early one a while back. It was in Portland, and a local bassist was using one. It was quite nice. He said he'd picked it up at a Nail Mary gig back when Chris was more or less selling them out of the trunk of his car.

It was really, really nice. Dark woods, EMG electronics, and a 4 string is about all I can remember. Sounded amazing as well. If he's gotten any better in the years between when that was made and now, and I mean any better at all, he must be one of the best guys in the biz.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Good to hear, thanks!

I am waiting on my custom Benavente fretless Vortex 6-string....

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Ok, but what was it selling for? :)

Troll

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

might of been, 6 string vortex in blue on ash would be rather unique. Nice bass huh?

That was going to be the color of my fretless but Chris felt mine needed to be a burst. I gave him the ok to make it look how he wanted to paint it.