1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

had my first gig last night...not so good

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LowEnder2112, Aug 20, 2007.

1. k first to clarify: i'm 14 and im in a 4 piece hard rock band (standard lineup bass,drums,lg,rg/vox) with friends from my grade. and last night we played our first show playing some covers in a restaurant/bar called Union Jacks in downtown Bethesda, MD. we of course weren't paid, but we did have fun and played pool afterwards. ANYWAY. A show is a great way to exploit flaws. We always thought we played perfect to near perfect at practices.

well the first song(living loving maid-led zeppelin) sounded like a mess, our lead section got lost competely...and i can't understand why. could it be they were nervous? I'm sure i wasn't, I've played infront of lots of people before and i play in my church band also. anyway, the second song(run to the hills-iron maiden) came out perfect. then the third (hey joe-hendrix) came out okay, and foxy lady (also hendrix) came smooth too.

so overall a terrible beginning, a comeback, then some okay playing.

but the whole time, our singer/rg sung low(volumewise), until the last song, when we told him to buckle up and use the mic.

i got compliments on my bass playing, and our drummer did too, but overall im really disappointed with the way we played. anyway,
    is this expected of a first show?

p.s i appear to be ranting, but im simply stating a question :bag: it was fun as hell though:D

2. Wait...you played a four song set with amplified instruments (I assume), and for only one of those songs your singer used a microphone?

Congrats on the comeback though, weird things can happen at gigs.

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Ahhh, a bad, but first gig, Grasshopper.
    From this, a beautiful lifetime of gigging is born.

4. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Eh, the first gig varies. For how young you are, you should be happy with it. I played my first gig with my new band last saturday and it was amazing, we got a ton of compliments. The first song, our guitarist started with the wrong settings so we quickly restarted the song, and the last song, the guitarist's strap broke, so we ended it at a good stopping point...

It always seems to be the guitarists's fault.

5. i think its normal to get dissapointed at your gig, you expect so much more. But the important thing is "did you have fun?"

6. Congrats on your first outing!

Don't sweat the small stuff! Just have a good time and rock it!

There will be PLENTY to stress about as you keep on gigging (members showing up late, the weather, power failures, small stages, drunk patrons falling on\over your gear, breaking strings, forgetting arrangements, not hearing yourself int he mix, travel woes, etc., etc., etc.) ;)

Here's to you and your first gig and many more to come! :bassist:

7. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    I'm 24 and my band had it's first gig this weekend too. We play our set flawlessly in practice too but at the gig there were issues.

It was outdoors at a party of about 50 people. The temperature went from warm and dry to cold and damp fast in the evening, messing up the all our instruments for the set.

The lighting was all in front, so we couldn't see a damn thing on stage.

Singer got a case of stage fright and forgot some lyrics. We all had mics so we just filled in.

On top of all that, some joker that decided he could run the mixer board, thought the lead guitar sounded great so he turned it up and the rest of us down. I shot him a look and he turned my mic off. Good thing I had my stack seperate cause he said I was too loud...I wanted to smack him.

All in all, it was a really fun night and the crowd really liked the show. So no regrets.

8. Don't feel bad. For a first show, it sounds like you did pretty well.

At our band's first ever gig, our guitarist's brand new Crate guitar head up and died. Fortunately, we were playing in our hometown, so his dad simply drove home and got another head. (He was using a Marshall head as a backup to a Crate???) I thought at the moment that that was going to be the end of our band, but we're still playing together about seven years later.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like a good gig to me.

10. yeah, just don't sweat all the small stuff, it is your first gig, and stuff is bound to go wrong, I've only played a couple gigs myself, the last being an improv. blues gig at an "insert crop here" festival, me and a couple of friendsjust decided to do it, we practiced a few times to make sure we had a good sound, and it all went relatively well.

11. Precisely... Thats the important thing.

Thing is, even when you're already experienced, the first gig with a new group or an untried set live is always strange... even though you might feel relaxed, your mind is always trying to evaluate how the band is sounding, and how the public is reacting to it, and it makes your perception to mistakes, etc all that much keener.

Don't stress. practice makes perfect.

I believe in starting out a set with that ONE song that the group feels more at ease playing... its easier to set the right mood when that first song goes right.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Keep at it, it's a long long road. Things will get better, they always do, it just takes time.

13. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Congrats on your first gig. There's no turning back now. :bassist:

Getting your act together enough to even get on stage and perform makes it a successful first performance. Remember that you will always be your own worst critic. Take stock of the things you feel you did right and be sure to do those every time. If you had fun, that's all that matters.

After 18 years of playing bass, and hundreds of gigs, I played my first solo bass set two weeks ago. It was easily the worst performance of my life. I haven't had stage fright in years, but it hit me hard when I stood there, all by myself, and saw bass heroes like Yves Carbonne, Trip Wamsley, and Stew McKinsey watching me play. I can't wait to do it again. Performing is just so addictive.

14. thanks for the support guys

and i did have lots of fun with it:bassist: :D
    now that i think of it...i wanna do it again lol

15. chakah

chakah Rockin' the 80's

Feb 2, 2006
    Houston,
    yeah - things get much better. but from the sounds of it - it was a good gig.

16. Where did you play? And what, were they your own compositions?

17. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    A bad night on stage is better than a the best day at work!

Hang in there; you'll only get better, and have more fun.:bassist:

~John

18. Dont sweat it. There will be many more excellent gigs. And for the most part you average Joe will probably hardly notice anything wrong.

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Congratulations on your first gig!!!

I think everyone's "first gig", whether it is the very-very-first, or the first with a new band, can be considered a "shakedown cruise". Something will alway go awry. Sounds like y'all did fine, and you had fun, which is the most-important part. I'd wager you sounded worse to yourselves than you did to the audience, and you've learned about some things to work on for next time. That's awesome!

Here's to many years of gigging!!!

Cherie :bassist: :hyper:

20. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    If I played my 1000th gig flawlessly I'd be surprised, much less the first one! Making mistakes is part of the game, just learn how to fix them and move on!