Had my first lesson last night....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Jun 11, 2002.

1. ...and if my choir director would have been there I'm sure she would have kicked me.

The guy asked me to play something for him and even though I'd been warming up playing some riffs and scales in the waiting room I couldn't think of anything. And then eventually played the "Hey Joe" bassline. Then we talked a little about what I'd like to see and learn and then he gave me a little jazz song we were going to work on.

It took me 15 God-d***** minutes to get a very simple lick down. :mad: B flat, G, G sharp and A. B flat on the 1, G on 2 &, G sharp on 3 & and A on 4, with eight note silences on the 2 and 3. I was really pissed at myself for that, as I've been sight reading Spanish music at the last 20 or so choir practises. And after that I did a major **** up on the chord order. Several times. :rolleyes:

It wasn't all bad though, I was able to walk respectably over the B section of the song without too many whoopsies. And I had the song okay-ish by the end of the lesson and nailed it down last night. Next lesson's tomorrow and by then I'll have it pretty well prepared. But my self esteem is still refusing to come out of hiding. :rolleyes:
  2. I wouldn't worry about it, the teacher has probably seen much worse... besides, it can only help. :)
  3. Oh don't worry, I'm not really beating myself up about it. I just needed to went a little, as I really thought I could do better.

Lesson's in three hours, I'm sure it'll go better now. :)
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Don´t worry about it, things can only get better ;)

(P.s. hjá hverjum ertu að læra? Og hvað kostar tíminn?)
  5. Ég er á "Crash course" námskeiði hjá GÍS, fór til þeirra af því að ég var einu sinni að læra á kassagítar hjá þeim. Eddi heitir kennarinn.

Ég er svolítið hræddur um að hafa hoppað í djúpu laugina því í fyrsta tíma var hann með djass lag fyrir mig að spila (Aldrei snert djass með löngu priki á ævinni) og núna gamalt rokk/fönk lag. En það er örugglega ekkert sem kemur ekki.

Þetta eiga að vera átta tímar og þeir kosta tæplega 20.000 kr. Svona álíka og ökutímarnir. :eek:
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My strange and twisted philosophy is that when starting out with a new teacher, trainer, coach...whatever, don't let them know how much you know or how good you are. Let them think you are closer to a beginner.

My reasoning is that they will give you some useful reviews, starting you at a somewhat lower level, but you gradually can begin to impress them with how fast you learn and improve. They will like that: A. because they will think it is because they are such good teachers and B. because they will think you are highly motivated and quite talented.

In other words, I wouldn't worry a bit about not performing up to snuff the very first class. There is plenty of time to be impressive later.
  7. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Very good point, I agree with you Boplicity. I switched in bewteen teachers a couple times and used your approach, it worked well with the review, just incase you missed something out. As for not nailing the jazz tune, don't worry about it. I've been taking lessons for years and studying university jazz and latin. I still do the "whoopsies" .... only problem is its not only infront of my teacher ;) :D

p.s what language are you speaking?
  8. least you can take lessons. I can't because the only person who teaches it in my town i am noticably better than he...
  9. Thanks everyone. :)

Icez: Ég heyrði í vini þínum hjá Sigurjóni í morgun, ég held að maður skoði þennan disk hans þegar mánaðarmótin koma.