Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Had my own private NAMM on Friday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Well guys, I just thought I should share my current GAS pains with you all...

I live just outside Belfast, and when it comes to gear, unless you want MIM Fender or the occasional MM Stingray, you have to travel to mainland UK. So on Friday I headed off to London for a day of window shopping... and now I'm regretting it. I could have re-mortgaged my house pretty easily! I also re-wrote my personal bass buying guide in the space of 6 hours. The highlights go something like this... (in no particular order..)

1). Older Warwick Thumb 5 strings RULE!!!
    Having played a few new high end Warwicks before (and never being very impressed) I don't really give them much of a second look any more... but I tried a S/H Thumb 5 on Friday and was absolutely blown away. The punch of the wenge was incredible. I would have bought this bass on the spot if I'd had the cash... older Warwicks absolutely crush the newer ones...

2). 5 string Jazz style basses RULE!!!
    Never being a great fan of all things Fender, or Fender inspired, it was a little strange that I spent the vast majority of my sortee playing the following jazz style 5 strings...

Sadowsky Vintage 5 (quilt top, caramel burst, looks identical to the SOLD one on the Sad. website) - This thing was Mmm Mmm GOOOOOOD!!! I can see why Nino and the rest are so taken with their Sads. I liked the string spacing and the standard 34" scale too. The B sounded like God clearing his throat. However, for me, it wasn't so good that it was worth almost 3 times as much as a...

Lakland JO 5 - I was very impressed by this bass. I had never played a Lakland Skyline of any description, and this has left a very favourable impression on me. With a U-retro deluxe pre-amp this bass would blow everything twice the price right out of the water for me! But in standard form it wasn't just as nice as a...

Sei Jazz bass 5 - If anybody out there has never tried any of Martin Peterson's basses, you really are missing out. These things are absolutely mind-blowingly good. I played 3 of these basses and all of them were excellent. My favourite was actually the cheapest of the 3 and is definitely in the top 3 basses I have ever set my hands on. It also had blue LEDs under the side fret markers... if only it wasn't white... I think it was better than the Sadowsky. As some are often quoted as saying, YMMV... this was another bass I would have bought on the spot...

Moon Jazz 5 - here was one of the surprises of the day for me... this was a blue Moon 5 with a 3 band eq and passive tone control. It played really nicely and was in really good condition considering it was S/H... and it previously belonged to Randy Hope Taylor (Jeff Beck, Incognito)... I hadn't ever played a Moon before but will definitely keep an eye out for them in the future... yet another bass I would have bought on the spot...

Fender Jazz 5 - this was the biggest surprise of the day for me! I've never played a Fender I would actually consider buying, but this one was the first. Excellent noiseless pickups and a great 3 band eq. Almost as good as the others I've mentioned... just to be different I don't think I would have bought this... The lakland and Moon were cheaper...

3). MTD Kingston Heir Vs. Lakland Skyline 55-01/02 I can now give an informed opinion on this battle. For me it was the MTD that won outright. No contest. Just add a pre-amp and you're away! It's not that I didn't like the Skyline, just the MTD seemed to fit me better... again YMMV. As I've already said the Skyline JO 5 was a completely different story!

Now all I need is for some nice punter(s) to send me enough money for me to be able to afford any of the above! Any contributions would be greatly received...

2. Sounds like you had a trip to the BassGallery? It is always a great day out.

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Half right! The thumb and MTD I played at the bass centre, the rest were at the gallery...

Definitely a good day out!!!