1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Had no idea bridge string barrels came in different sizes...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    In the last few months I've engaged in a buying spree of an amp, a bass, a body and a couple of necks.

One neck was a Mike Dirnt Fender '51 P bass neck, rosewood fretboard. The plan was to replace the maple Squier neck on my Squier 50's CV P bass... the Lake Placid Blue model.
    Well I finally installed it today, and even though the neck is nice and straight the action is still quite high. It's when I looked at the high-massbridge that I noticed just how large the bridge barrels are. I then decided to inspect my other basses and the smallest barrels are on a Hipshot vintage style bridge, and in general the standard size seems to be somewhere in between. I just happened to have a generic one kicking around in my parts drawer. To my satisfaction after replacing the barrels (way more work than it was worth, should have just swapped the bridges whole) the action dropped down to a height that works for me.

So... hmmm... who knew, a further education of the minutiae of parts swapping/specs...

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The earliest Peavey Foundations have huge barrels, almost twice the diameter that Fender saddles are. Most of the other early Peaveys have their proprietary high mass bridge.

3. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I didn't measure the thickness of each of the necks... the action was decent with the original neck, but was considerably higher with the Mike Dirnt neck. Now with the replaced barrels it's pretty sweet.