Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Had to cut my wedding band off last night...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Dec 14, 2004.

1. And I'm pretty bummed.

Admittedly, I'd been growing into it for a few years, to the point where it wouldn't readily come off, and I never took it off for playing reasons...

But I smashed my hand last night at the knuckle, and my finger started to swell. So much so, my finger looked like Barney... it freaked me out because cold cold water, butter, vegetable oil, nothing was getting it off, and my digit was going quite numb... so, a pair of metal cutters later, and some considerable effort, it was off.

I didn't mangle it, but it's doubtful it can be repaired AND stretched adequately. I'm bummin. My Wife is being cool about it, but I feel "nekkid" without it...I realise it's just a symbol of it, and not a deal-breaker, but really.

Anyone ever have to do this?

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My wife had to do it, but not with her wedding ring. We went to the fire department where they have this little tool that works sort of like a rotary saw. They had the ring off in a few seconds, and it was a clean cut. We took it to the jeweler and it was a simple and cheap repair.

Depending on what you did to the ring, it should be able to be repaired by a jeweler pretty easily.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The was a soldier in Iraq recently that opted to have his finger cut off to save his wedding ring. If you really loved your wife that's what you would have done too. ;)

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you didn't completely mangle it, then take it to a jeweler. You'd be surprised at what they can do. If it is a gold ring, they can easily add more metal to it to enlarge it.

I fully understand how you feel about your ring. I've been wearing my ring for the past 13 years and any time that I take it off, I find myself checking my finger over and over.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Seriously, why don't people understand that you can repair a ring? It's not like it will reduce the value significantly because it isn't "stock" anymore. Antique jewelry gets repaired all the time, it's called maintenance.

It's a sentimental and romantic gesture, but it's much easier and cheaper to repair a ring than it is to reattach a finger. I also know that my wife would rather have me all in one piece than my wedding ring.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I lost my wedding band. I'm not too bummed because it wasn't ever very comfortable and I'm going to make sure the next one is. I'll get a replacement...it's just metal. My wife knows I love her.

Why is this in miscellaneous?

brad cook

7. The rest of this story is that the surgeon lost the wedding ring after the surgery.

Bummer.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup. That makes for two idiots in one story.

9. Yup, I will be taking it to a jeweler. My only concern is that there is a consistent design running the whole length of the ring, and fear if it's not stretched / repaired properly, it may distort the engraving... it's not terribly intricate, but still....

Thanks for the thoughts.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1, take it to a skilled jeweler. You'll be surprized what they can do.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I thought that this was either
    1. a thread about stopping the performance of a musical group at your reception
    2. quitting playing with a group that plays wedding receptions.

12. And (I swear) just before I was to post that I was surprised the thread title could have been mis-interpreted. :smug:

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yea, my thought when I first saw the title was that you were going to quit gigging with a group that does wedding receptions.

This thread is better suited for Off Topic. I'm sure a moderator will eventually move it.

Back to the original topic, take the ring to a good jeweler, you'd be surprised at the work that they can do.

14. Good thing you don't have a titanium band. That would taken more than just "considerable effort" to cut that with metal shears. ;)

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I saw that story, too. My very first thought was "Well, if you cut your finger off instead of the wedding ring, where are you going to wear the ring, dumb@$$?" :rolleyes:

Then I realized it was a Marine...

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL, yea... I've seen Marine's do some VERY stupid things...

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Has anyone checked Snopes for this story? This has got to be an urban legend. What idiot would cut off their finger to save a ring? There is just no way.

18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Ok, read the story. I guess it is real, but I still can't believe that anyone would do such a stupid thing. On top of that, the surgeons should have known better.

19. Someone now needs to post a thread about making sure the musicians playing at their wedding get no more alcohol during their performance.

20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

This is exactly what I thought the thread was about...

I thought that the wedding group that was performing for your wedding was either getting more intoxicated than the wedding party... or they suxt and that was it for them... Or you were sick of playing the corp/wedding fuctions as I am...