1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Had to quit lessons, How do I proceed?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by prater, Jan 25, 2012.

1. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    So things got tight and I had to quit my lessons after only two months. However I don't want to quit learning, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I've picked up a book or two in the past that didn't really do much for me, I also tried a couple of DVDs but they too didn't help much. I'm in a weird place because, I can play decently well, if I memorize the song. I can't play by ear or jam along to a song I don't know. I'm pretty much stuck playing songs I've learned before and a few arpegios I learned in lessons.

So is there a particular book or video I should check out? Perhaps something on theory? Or should I bump up to an intermediate or advanced level book or DVD?

2. Check out youtube, there's lots of great free tuorials, but also a lot of crappy ones. Stay away from anything by "Expert Village", those guys consider a minor scale in C to be "expert" level instruction...

3. There's a bazillion songs on youtube. Pick one, learn it. Pick another, learn it. Your pause button chops will get pretty good (j/k) but you'll build a repertoire at the same time as honing your ear skills. Best of all.... it's free! Later on when things pick up, resume your lessons. You'll be a LOT further down the track when you do.

4. yes. avoid expert village. keep learning songs. play along with your records. in many cases this is as good as using a metronome, since a lot of albums are recorded to a 'click track'.

5. Grab a $ hitload of CD's and a CD player,and get to work.

6. also if you have access to an organ, put weights on the keys to form a chord, then explore your fretboard to find notes that sound good with the chord. then change the chord.

7. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    Get some tablature.

8. This.

9. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    Find some people you could jam with and learn from.

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    My thought too. Join a band. On the job training.

11. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    If you need a substitute teacher in the form of a book, I'd choose the Hal Leonard Bass Method by Ed Friedland. It's so clear that you could work through it without a teacher and probably be ok and learn an awful lot in a really sound way.

That's if you have discipline. Anyone can watch youtube videos, but if what you're after is a teacher substitute then that's what I'd recommend.

If you're deciding to teach yourself, then I'd also recommend really starting to listen to how you sound and pay attention to whether what you're playing sounds good. If you are teaching yourself you really need to be objective about how you sound and be observant about what you're doing. That's what a teacher is really useful for, and you won't have that to help, so if you want to improve at a fast pace, you need to be able to break things down yourself, - identify areas where you can't pull off a good sound, break them into small parts, relax, work them out logically, play it slow, bring it up to tempo, etc. You need discipline and objectivity, and good observation skills to teach yourself effectively. It's totally possible.

12. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Jan 3, 2012
    Get "the improvisors bass method" by chuck sher. ......and get busy

13. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
  14. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
    Hey man, I'd check anything Ed Friedland has written. They're great books that are really well written... not just a bunch of listed scales etc... stay away from these books they were simply written to make $$$ not to educate ;)

I've also got a video lessons website that you might want to check out... all totally free...

Free Online Bass Lessons | ScottsBassLessons.com

Ez man,

Scott.

15. Ed Friedland's books are amazing, his Bass Method books (1-3) goes through a lot of information, I just restarted it again and I'm determined to finish it this time!

What does "the improvisors bass method" by Chuck Sher teach specifically?

16. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    I would very carefully and slowly cop everything that Scott Devine (above) teaches. Get his lessons on string crossing, speed, pentatonics down...spend months on it if you have to.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Get involved in a band ... your best learning comes from playing real songs with real people.

18. dontay

dontay

Aug 29, 2011
    Teachmebassguitar. Com
    Great lessons by Roy Vogt

19. Here's what works for me:

1) even noodling develops ear/hand coordination

2) jam with as many people as possible....always!

3) sing what you want to play, also helps ear/hand coordination

4) learn sections of songs; learn the whole song later

5) online videos