1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Had to Try an Ampeg V4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gearhead17, May 1, 2009.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Just wanted to let all of you know I saw a used Ampeg V4 at Guitar Center in Arlington Heights, IL. The price tag said $499. Not bad at all, and of course I tired it out!

A few power tubes were missing, does not distort at all like a normal guitar amp - no Marshall style distortion or anything like that (I tested it with a $3000 Modulus 5 string). Basically was really clean sounding. Did not look like much work was done to it, decent condition, looked REALLY OLD. Not sure of the year.

A few of the tubes looked old, but I did not spend enough time checking that out. Just wanted to let all of you know of the great deal at this Guitar Center.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Great deal? ;) For $500, you can get one that works perfectly.

3. Good to see that U "tired it out" too ;-) They DO sound FAR better once they're tired. I always leave mine ON for a few hrs B4 I play it - If'n when possible..... sounds SO nice when she's all warmed up- seems the longer they're ON the better they sound!

4. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Dude, they are simply awesome amps. And to be honest, no manufacture builds tube amps they same to me anymore, I would buy one if I was you. They sound buttery beautiful, fat, warm, punchy, it's the last amp for me, I don't need an SVT being that I don't gig as much as I'd like. Plus, I could always mic it to the PA.

5. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Try to see if you can negotiate a new set of output tubes for that price. I wouldn't worry as much about the other (preamp) tubes if it sounds good otherwise and all the controls work properly.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    It sounded OK, but I really have no use for it and I am not sure if ANY work had been done to it. I guess I don't another tube amp reliability to worry about! I was hoping someone on here would go and buy it!

7. A few tubes missing...and you used it?

Prime reason why I would never buy a tube head at GC.

8. No problem running a V4 on two output tubes, just adjust the speaker load switch to compensate (8 ohm cab to 4ohm position, 4 ohm cab to 2 ohm position or did I get that backwards?)