Had trouble cutting through in the mix with a stingray tonight...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 17, 2004.

1. I just bought a stingray 4 with a rosewood fretboard, and tonight at band practice, it seemed like I wasn't cutting throguh very well. The E string was pretty audible, but everything else seemed a bit 'lost in the mix'. I toyed around with the mids and highs and everything, and there was just something missing.

I'm baffled by this because a)Rays are notorius for being amazing at cutting throguh in the mix and b)It's got a cleaner sound than my old jazz bass, but it's not as audible while playing...

I'm trying to think of anything els,e but I'm more confused than anything. I've heard nothign but good things abotu teh 'Rays ability to cut through.

2. what did your eq look like?
  3. I tried numerous things, but I started with teh amp settings flat...and on teh bass I had the mids and highs boosted a little bit...then I started trying to boost different midrange frequencies on the amp...anywhere from 250Hz - 800Hz and it just seemed liek nothing was helping. I could be heard pretty well while slapping, but playing fingerstyle ended up in me being somewhat lost in the mix...I also tried playign with different "dynamics" and tried playign on different spots on teh strings and still...not much help there.

Like I said...I'm trying to not worry about this, but I figured I'd be slicing through the mix effortlessly...not the case.
  4. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ****ing a, how many people are in your band?
  5. It's me, 2 guitars, keys and drums...

Damn, I'm real confused right now...
  6. Maybe you don't have enough power out of your amp? Given the right amount of power, a Stingray will definitely cut through, no matter what.
  7. Concerning the neck...

I went with rosewood cuz when I AB'ed a maple one and rosewood one...the maple sounded snappier in the highs, but sounded more scooped in the mids while the rosewood had a bit less crackle in the higs, but the mids sounded rounder and fuller to me...

Maybe maple would help??

Trying to see any possible angle to this...
  8. I plug into a 1000 watt carvin head with a full stack (4x10 and 1x15)...And I was turned up a bit more than I used to be with the jazz bass. The hting was, I could feel myself moving more air in the lows with this thing than I did with my J-bass...but the mids and even some highs seemed to get lost...
  9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've always found Stingrays to be a bit tame in the midrange - even with the 3-band EQ. They've all got that signature huge bottom end and crackling highs, but not a lot in-between.

You could try a compressor to smooth out the sound a bit, or if you're not too bothered about maxing out the onboard EQ settings, run the bass almost flat, turn up your input gain, and give your amp a big midrange EQ boost. If I remember right, the Stingray EQ actually cuts mids as you turn up the treble knob.

Russ :bassist:
  10. i normally dime the bass and treble, works for me.

but if your lows are going trough and mids/highs not going trough, why not increase overall volume, and decrease the boost to your bass range. thisll mean all of em will be loud and clear, and even proportioned, yes?

lately iv seen threads about how changing the finish or the freatboard wood on a fretted bass is going to make so much difference....i cant take it seriously, probably half the people wont even be able to hear the bass guitar in a band with 2 guitars and keyboard.

sorry that was a bit uncalled for but its good that is out
  11. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hmmm... I have a Carvin R1000 with Carvin 4x10 and 1x18, which theoretically should be less able to cut through than 4x10/1x15. I have no problem cutting through 2 guitars, keys, 4 vocals and drums with any of my basses - DP Custom, G&L 2500, Alembic Essence, Warmoth Jazz (passive), '75 Jazz with J-Retro etc.

Are you sure that your Stingray is 100%? Maybe something isn't working right..
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How old is the battery in the Bass?
  13. How old are the strings?
  14. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    How far is the pickup from the strings?

How good are the accoustics of your rehearsal room? If you're using that big amp setup for practice, your room should be very large and have good low frequency absorbers...
  15. Bass is brand new...

Strings sound fresh, I would imagine the battery is fresh, I haven't made any adjustments, so I would imagine the pickup is it's 'normal' height from the strings...
  16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've never played a Stingray in a band situation that cut through. I find that the severe lacking of mids is the cause. Like you're finding, it's hard to bring the mids back when they weren't there from the start. Actually, there was one Stingray I played that cut through and sounded great: it was a '76 and was the only 'ray I've played that I've liked. It's weird to me that when you solo a Jazz bass bridge p/u you get a nice mid/burpy sound where as on the 'ray you get a fairly deep sound from the low strings but nothing else. The '76 had great mids and everything else which leads me to believe the old pups must be wound quite a bit different than the new ones.
  17. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Iv'e never played a Stingray that DIDN'T sound good in the mix.

Couple of things occur to me. Using those cabs, the sound doesn't really develop until you move further away from the source. Could be that your perception of how you're "cutting through" is considerably different than the perception of someone sitting 20-30 feet away.

That, I would guess, is the most obvious thing.

Strings would be my next approach. Lots of people think of Stingrays as Slap Monkey Machines, but I string most of my EB basses with flats and use them as rock and blues instruments. Some roundwounds are weird about midrange response; TI Flats, just as one example, are absolutely FAT on midrange response.

Unless your bass is defective, which I doubt, or the pickup height is off, I would investigate what the tone is like further away from your cabinets. Have someone else play your setup and take a short walk and see what you think then.
  18. I'll try that next time...The only thing is, comparitively speaking, I didn't haveta be far away from my setup with my J-bass. I mean, I'm aware that they are two totally different basses, but me hearing myself is as important if not more important than the 'crowd' hearing me. And thats the thing...especially in my situation where we do a good amount of improvising...I need to be able to hear myself very clearly.

about strings...it is strung with the stock EB slinkys. I believe th guage on those is 45-100.

We'll see what happens.
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've been playing with lots of different bands lately. 95% of the musicians comment on how well my SR5 cuts through compared to whatever bass their regular guy uses.

My suggestion is to give your ears time to get used the different sound. Sr's and Fender Jazz's sound nothing like each other. Really different. Ears are funny things........
  20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I absolutely can't believe the posts above claiming that Rays don't have much midrange - these things are FAMOUS for their midrange grunt. No bass stands out more in a mix, and sometimes that grunt is the biggest COMPLAINT about a stingray. Listen to any Sade tune and tell me there isn't any midrange with Paul Denman's stingray . . . .

Listen people, the FIRST thing you should do when you buy a new bass is change the strings and battery. You never know how long the thing has been sitting in the store getting handled by all sorts of people.