1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hadean Omega Bass Uke (Kala U-Bass copy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mastermold, Jun 13, 2014.

1. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Respect! Great idea sir. Golf-clapping to you.
    If I may pick some nits: the first pic above is of Paul T.'s 1936 bass, the Audiovox Model 736. Bud's 1947 (-49?) recreation, the Serenader bass, had small differences: a concave profile in the upper "cutaway", an edge corner under the treble side of the bridge, a smaller scratchplate, the fact it had no frets above the 12th, different headstock:
    [​IMG]
    (From this thread and post:
    Tutmarc audiovox model 736: where are they? )
    [​IMG]
    Here's a lap steel from the same years, with clearly the same basic shape:
    1940 Tutmarc Bud-Electro Serenader Dark Cherry > Guitars : Lap, Pedal & Table - Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar

Your mentioning the Serenader in the Audiovox logo (on an Audiovox-version inspired bass) would be a conflation of the two Tutmarcs - unless I'm mistaken and the "Serenader" name already appeared on Paul's Audiovox basses from the 30's, but, as I said, AFAIK it was used by Bud in his instruments from the following decade.

2. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I know it's not exactly correct, I was inspired by the thread about anyone who bought a bass from the year they were born. When I looked up 1949, I found the Tutmarc and reading the history, I decided I would get close based on the Rondo. I figured by calling it a tribute, I can get away with it.

3. kohanmike

Thanks MR, I'm looking forward to trimming it myself and making the pickguard, and have Pat Wilkins do the paining.

I bought a Sony DWZ B30GB and I think it's great, so much so I bought a second. What I like the most is that both the transmitter and receiver are battery operated. I've seen them as low as $150 on sale, I paid $230.

Sony DWZ B30.

4. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    You can get away with anything you want, it's a cool idea!

5. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Here's a new video from my band, song was recorded over the summer, I'm not in video, no need to see me onscreen! I used my hadean uke bass on this track.

kohanmike likes this.
  6. kohanmike

Very very good. (Sounds like David Bowie.)

I did the cuts on the Rondo 24 and contacted Pat Wilkins, will be taking it to him Jan. 5th.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  7. kohanmike

I got my blue one back from being modified a few days ago and as I suspected, the pickup is messed up, it's not a shim problem, but a sensor problem. As a test, I swapped the pickup assembly from my new 24" and the blue then sounded good. I sent an email to Theresa at Rondo to see if there's any way to get a replacement pickup, though I know they don't carry parts, but maybe she can get me a connection to the factory in China. I haven't been able to find any online, here or in China.

It also looks like Gold Tone uses the same pickup in the MicroBass, so I might have to try them for a replacement. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy another Rondo on sale and use it for parts.

1 Rondo blue bass Kala.

8. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Posting this here along with posting in the kala thread:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    AGH, swarfrat and kohanmike like this.
  9. ivorytower

ivorytower He's just this guy, you know? Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'm thinking about keeping mine at work and putting it on a stand. Any recommendations on what will work? I know that there are uke stands, but since this is a bit bigger than the regular ukes, I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Suggestions?

10. Uke stand from Kala worked with my Goldtone no problem. It's substantially larger than the Kala.

11. I got a uke stand where the guitar is suspended from the point where the neck widens into the headstock. The body just rests gently against an adjustable pad. Any sized uke bass would fit this stand:

aNueNue Orcas Mandolin/Ukulele Stand

The one I got came under one of the more common stand companies, not the one in this listing. This might be cool too:

Amazon.com: Ukulele Holder for Music & Mic Stands: Musical Instruments

12. kohanmike

13. ivorytower

ivorytower He's just this guy, you know? Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Chicago Suburbs
  14. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    normal cheap bass guitar stand works just fine. the ones MF or GC has on sale occasionally.

15. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    You have any more shots of the bridge / pickup interface? I've got a couple project ideas I've kicked around where I could use the piezo under a hardtail electric bridge.

16. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Ok, I wandered through all 23 pages and didn't see something similar so - if anyone needs some reference, here's the UKBE-20 with a 34" Squier P-bass on the left and a 25.5" Stedman in the middle. My 3yo loves his Stedman, but it's still too big (and heavy) for him. This looks perfect (and fun as all getout).

[​IMG]

17. What are you looking for? I did a complete tear down and rebuild of the electronics and pickup on my solid body Hadean and might have some photos. The bridge is basically a solid piece of rosewood with rectangular slot cut in it that's rounded on the ends to fit snug with the pickup. Stock, there's a shim underneath the pickup that most people remove.

I substituted a Shadow acoustic piezo pickup that looked to be the same shape as the factory pickup but ended up being a little wider than stock. After a bunch of dremeling and sanding, I got the Shadow pickup to fit. Here's a link to my post earlier in this thread:

Also, see post 334 at this link:

18. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Sorry - I was specifically referring to mrufino1's Fender bridge conversion, not the stuff you'd done.

19. No problem, apologies for misinterpreting your post.

20. kohanmike

I got a reply from Gold Tone that they could get me a replacement bridge and or saddle assembly in January. I measured my MicroBass and the saddle is the same size as on the Hadean solid body. I finally found a Shadow saddle assembly but the specs do show it's wider than the stock Hadean, and I don't have the tools or inclination to modify the stock bridge. I'm also holding off on using a metal bridge like Mark did.