Haden and Gut

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JazznFunk, Jan 16, 2004.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Is Charlie Haden still using gut strings these days? If so, does anyone know what type he favors? I'm thinking of going for gut down the road, even though the Obligatos are wonderful right now. Since I'm most familiar with Charlie's sound, and since I've read that he's used gut for the most part, I'm interested to see what he uses. Thanks to anyone who can offer some insight.
  2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    KAPLAN GOLDEN SPIRAL Tynex (Nylon) wound on gut (G+D strings only).

Don't remember what he uses for E + A though.
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Spirocore Orhcestras on the E and A I think.

Just so you know also, Golden Spirals aren't made any more. I think he must have bought all of their stock.
  4. I was talking to a local upright player in this area (Albany, NY), to pick his brains about strings (I think I'm becoming obsessive on this subject.) Anyway, he told me that Charlie Hayden had come to town for a gig, and Charlie borrowed his bass. As a thank you, Charlie gave him the strings he used for the gig. Yes, they were a pair, G & D, of the elusive Kaplan Golden Spirals. When I told him that I could not find them anywhere, he called Quinn Violins to inquire since their website says they are "temporarily discontinued." When he told me their answer, I could't stop laughing; they said that "because of Mad Cow Disease in Europe, they are no longer available." OMG, what are these things, still alive????? P.S. The cover of Bass Player, 8/96, has a picture of Charlie and the top 2 strings are clearly unwrapped gut. No living animal tissue for Charlie that day.....
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I just saw Charlie play yesterday. Spiros plus Golden Spirals, as usual.

I had that setup for a while, but I have to say that I prefer the Velvet Garbo set (all four gut).
  6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Just got some New old stock golden spirals - can't wait to try them on! Or maybe I should sell em to Charlie......
  7. Tom Gray of the Seldom Seen turned me on to Golden Spirals about 8 years ago. If there's any new old stock Spirals around I would love to know where. Anyone have any info on these elusive Kaplans?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    According to Quinn, they are temporarily discontinued, but you can order them ahead of time. They will be available again.
  9. That's great news! I'm new around here, so please help me out. Who is Quinn and how can I pre-order?
  10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  11. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    La Bella golden tone strings are available too. they are great as well-seems to me they are a little bit more durable than the golden spirals