1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Haden Doc free on vimeo

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by damonsmith, Mar 25, 2020.

1. If you can get past the infantilizing title, the fact that we never need to hear from Iverson about anything ever and the overly sentimental opening there is a lot of great information here! The discovery for me is that there really is something to grabbing the neck like a bat and crushing a low C or G with the 2nd & 3rd finger. Something interesting happens, not the least is that you are going to be there for a while! It looks frightful, but, I realized I had never actually tried it. The film really opens up when he gets LA. Of course I wish all of his peers got a full doc as well, but, this is what have!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

What a well done doc! Thanks so much for sharing, Damon.

damonsmith likes this.
  3. d.Fly

d.Fly Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2002
    PACIFIC PALISADES, CA
    So great!

damonsmith likes this.
  4. Thank you!

5. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Man, I love me some Keith Jarrett, but his statement implying that there are only, like, two bass players in the world that he's worked with that he would consider "great" just makes me shake my head.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Keith Rawlings likes this.
  6. He pretty much worked with Haden and Peacock in his bands for most of his life. I don't think he was talking about every one he had ever played with. Having two bassists that great in your bands is a lot!
    I was more stuck by Mandel's assertion that Ornette was more cutting edge than Mingus. I can see for a hot minute in the late 50s, but, not in any lasting historical sense. Of course, EI was tough to take and added nothing. It was criminal to edit out any of what Swallow had to say to give him screen time!

7. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    What a great way to start the day. Thank you Damon for posting this!

damonsmith likes this.
  8. This is a pretty great performance, Gismonti is fine on piano but best when he gets on guitar:

gflat likes this.
  9. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    FYI- In the description, it says “free to stream until April 5th”

damonsmith likes this.
  10. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Can you post a link in where it says that? Vimeo tells me it’s $6 to watch.

I saw this in a theatre up in Westchester - CH was actually supposed to attend for a question n answer after the showing, but he had become ill shortly before and passed away soon after.

I consider myself a lucky boy to have heard CH play in a variety of contexts over the years— with Ornette, Jarrett, Cherry’s “Brown Rice” group, OAND, Sphere ...

I will pay the $6 to watch it again tho. Fascinating story!

11. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I just clicked Damon’s link in the first post - still unlocked for me and description tab still says April 5

0F5D262A-8259-4021-9217-7A3152702405.png

Selim and Keith Rawlings like this.
  12. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Thanks for sharing, @damonsmith -- that was great.

damonsmith likes this.
  13. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I’ve recently started listening to Keith Jarrett and he’s amazing - as are all of his bassists - especially Gary Peacock. What throws me off though is Jarrett’s comical squeely noises he makes while he plays. It sounds like he’s having a conniption while he’s jamming out. He’s freaking phenomenal of course, but I wonder if any of his sidemen got thrown off by those sounds he makes while performing with him? It’s distracting to the listener IMO.

marcox likes this.
  14. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    Can’t forget Palle Danielsson from the great bassists Jarrett has had in his bands!

Low Crow, Earl, oliebrice and 4 others like this.
  15. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    @damonsmith thanks for sharing the video! I'm sitting down now to watch it, very exciting.

Seems to me like Jarrett is "stimming."

16. I could see him thinking of that as a Manfred Eicher project, but, yes Palle is fantastic!

Sean Riddle likes this.
  17. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    It bothered me when I first started listening to him, but I am able to tune it out now. It probably doesn't bother the guys he plays with at all.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  18. @oliebrice will love this, I was complaining about it years ago to the great John Edwards, and John said, (imagine a thick British accent) "I think he should stop playin' the piano & just sing!"

19. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

For what his sidemen get paid, they'd prolly put up with just about anything.

20. I know the trio was getting 60k a gig years ago!