1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hadrien Feraud with Zawinul Legacy Band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Hadrien Feraud with Zawinul Legacy Band.

HADRIEN FERAUD likes this.
  2. Hadrian has so much technique and aptitude, and it is impressive, but once you look past that, he is awful. In the bass solo, the only time he really did anything melodically interesting was when he was quoting Jaco.

In the second clip, he ruins the song. The original is very spacious and etheric. His constant staccato flurries not only don't fit, but destroy the feel.

Jaco had a big ego, and sometimes overplayed, but Feraud takes it to a whole other level.

3. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    neck onanism again.no thanks.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you guys are tripping

5. lol, right? But this always seems to happen when Hadrien's mentioned.

6. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

It's called "hating". Usually done by those that secretly wish they could do whatever they are hating on. Notice how it's the guys who don't have chops that always complain about people playing 16th notes and "wanky solos".

7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I have an idea for you.
    It will help develop your right hand technique.

Just play repeatedly 8th notes -just E (7th fret on A string) - using the following right hand technique for each 8th note:

Thumb, index, middle, ring, pinkie, ring, middle, index, and again, thumb, etc..
    Start slowly. When comfortable - increase tempo, etc...

Try tremolo using the same five fingers:

Thumb, pinkie, ring, middle, index, thumb.

It should help you with your problems.

8. "The Lick" at 1:16.

9. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    The video perfectly captures the right/left hand fingering/technique.

It's like an educational video from a superbly magnificent bass player - virtuoso of our time.

What's more. I have watched a lot of videos with Hadrien, but never seen him being so happy and having fun.
    Also, look at the drummer, Mike Baker at 2:36.
    Look how happy Mike is, how supportive Mike is, how encouraging Mike is, etc...

I'm really happy for Hadrien.

Hadrien's sound, technique, musical phraseology, exceeding compositional and improvisational skills put him on the very top of the world's bass player/jazz musician list.
    Hadrien Feraud really expanded the bass guitar technique, and it will be difficult for anybody to exceed it.

In addition, Hadrien Feraud is an inspirational figure for many aspiring bass players, which stimulates, overall, the Bass guitar industry/provides jobs for those people in the Bass Guitar industry - luthiers, equipment producers, bass guitar teachers, etc....

10. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Personally, it's less "hating" and more "it does nothing for me". I'll be the first to admit that I am a hack, at best, so perhaps it all comes down to me not being able to comprehend what players like Hadrien are doing when they play super fast. I would rather listen to a grooving line that is simple(r), than a bunch of notes put together at a blistering speed (which is what it sounds like to me). It's cool he can do that, and in that context, it works (I guess), but it's not my cup of tea. YMMV, etc.

11. They do a great job of copping that Zawinal later solo vibe.

Never did dig it musically at all, but it sure is impressive. I too very much dislike that style of 64th note with no rests bass playing, but it is something to behold for sure!

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    All well played no doubt...it just doesn't do anything for me.
    I'd have preferred to see Matt Garrison in this context.

I'm sure this too has it's fans though, so all's well.:)

I think that 'Human Element' do a good Zawinul - inspired thing.
    I personally would prefer that to the legacy band.

13. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I was really trying to find any video or mp3 file with Hadrien playing country music groove, because a lot of the "HF dislikers/dislikes" were trying to tell me that Hadrien "sucks" while playing simple grooves.
    Should you find any info where Hadrien is playing country music please let me know.

Next.

I have posted the link to John McLaughlin's live concert with ETIENNE M'BAPPE - electric bass.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f19/john-mclaughlin-4th-dimension-1026617/

I have compared Hadrien's play - articulation/character/phrasing/etc... with Etienne's.
    It's easy to see the different levels of those two musicians playing the same music with the same musicians.

14. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I'm just trying to understand, from a musical point of view, the following sentence, used by many responders in this thread,
    "It just doesn't do anything for me".

P.S. I'm sorry but to me it sounds like some kind of "Nevada brothel" talk.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Sure,
    When I say it, as I did, I mean to say that I am not engaged emotionally or intellectually. the little I have so far heard of the band in question leaves me cold on both levels.
    Not enough for me to seek them out or want to hear more at this point.:)

"Nevada brothel"??

16. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Zawinul Syndicate 75th Lugano 2007 - Orient Express

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005

18. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Thanks for posting! I quite enjoyed his playing on the Chick Corea and The Vigil as well.
    Hadrien's a fine player and he's definitely got his own voice happening.
    And here's Hadrien jamming on Giant Steps with Jeff Berlin. On Talkbass this should be about like releasing a bag of cats in a bluetick hound convention! ;)

19. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS

20. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Great solo, I like how he pays homage to Jaco a few times there. I'd be very interested to hear what he does on a slower tune where there's more space.