1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hagstrom dings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AbyssalGhost, Jul 24, 2012.

1. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    Ok,so i'm contemplating on buying this hagstrom,but i need to know if these dings are something that could be rubed out?They looks like small chips on the paint and someone has tried to rub some substance on it to cover i up?Looks like smear circles or something to me....Or is it even worth kicking up dust about?Am I too picky?Is there any way to fix it without a new paint job?

Here are some photos.

Attached Files:

2. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    bump

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    A good luthier could probably repair them for you but do you want to invest the money to do it? I would think $200-$300 would be the cost.

Personally, i'd leave your HIIB-N as it is, the dings and marks add personality.

TD

4. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    Why would you want to fix that...

waaaait for it.... waaaaait for it...

...mojo?

:bag:

5. Won't the dings mostly be covered up by your forearm when you play the bass?

I've seen worse...

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Thant is a cool bass - don't worry about the dings. I have 2 HIi BNs and one is in much worse shape than that. They will be expensive to fix and might even hurt the value.

THE BEST NECK - EVER!!

7. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    haha,i think you guys are right.Bassamatic i would love to see some photos!

8. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    something else i wanted to mention is the crack on the back side of the bridge.It goes around behind the body,so does any one know if it's the paint or the wood that has cracked?The crack is a perfect crack and it does not go all the way through out the guitar...

Attached Files:

9. Bassamatic

OK - Hag pics -

My FIRST bass - My 1967 Hag II that I bought new and modified by adding two Gibson Mudbuckers. The perfect sound for 60's and 70's rock. So powerful. Played this around the country for 10 years straight. Still the most perfect, fastest neck there is despite being carelessly abused all that time.
    IMG_3685.

My lucky find - 1968 Hag II nearly mint - just a small chip where it hung on a hanger. Scored this from a nice drummer here in L.A. a couple of years ago. A great find and bargain. Came in the original case, even! Strung with Chromes.
    IMG_3649.

10. Bassamatic

Hmmm. Are you sure that this is not a crack in the body where the wood was pieced together?? That could be serious.

11. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    i'm not to sure....I know that your two hagstroms are multiple peices of wood,but this i think MIGHT be a solid...i don't know for sure though....The guy says it works good and the only thing to worry about are the nicks on it...it may be a tad hard to spot on it but in the photos it is there.

12. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    also those hags of your are pretty sweet,they sound so good dont they? and the second one looks brand new!!! :hyper:

13. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    OK that bass is freak'n awesome!

14. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    The crack is most certainly a joint on a two-piece or multiple piece body, showing through the finish. My 1965 Hag has an 8-piece body and the joints are easy to see. This is just finish checking, are the joints are 100% solid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I totally agree (I also totally want that fretless Hag...). There's a good chance it's solid and just a result of the two pieces of wood expanding and contracting at slightly different rates over the years.

If you wanted to, you could drop-fill those chips with black nail polish. Use many thin coats to fill the chips, allowing lots of time for each coat to cure, then sand level with the rest of the finish, buff out and polish. It's a lot of hand work and time, but it will cost you less than $25 for all the supplies you'd need. Nail polish at the local drug store and refinishing supplies at the local auto-parts store.

16. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    The old Hags are very cool old short-scale basses with one of the thinnest necks in creation, made possible by a metal channel embedded in the neck. The entire bass is light and nimble.

Those body dings look like regular dings to me - black finish over a white or gray primer, on a 45-year old bass that has been played. I like it. It is not going to fetch mint price, but that could be a good thing because other than the dings it looks pretty sharp and complete.

I would not try to repaint or cover the dings if it was mine.

17. Bassamatic

Yes - the '68 is in nearly new condition. I found a way to clean and lube the switches without removing them from the pick guards. They both play fantastic, but I just cannot get the '68 to have the amazing feel of the '67.

Sorry to hijack your thread, AbyssalGhost!

Randy - Your Hag is just so gorgeous!

The black nail polish is a great idea - thanks Lo-E

18. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    Welp,I lost the bid on the hag....Well sorta,the auction is still going but i only have about 400$ and where the bid is at plus shipping i know i wont get it :crying: will i ever find a black hagstrom Hiibn in good condition ever again,for sell you think?if anyone finds one let me know.why must my favourite intruments be the most rarest?datfeel :help:

19. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I see the bidding ended at $596 shipped.

20. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    funny,you could have hit the buy it now,ealry on in the auction,and got it cheaper IF you had the cash.