1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hagstrom HB-4 - any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluebard, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Hey bass dudes,

I'm looking for an interesting short scale bass to replace the Peavey Foundation I'm selling (a great bass, but the 35" scale is a bit too long for me). In my search, I came across a used Hagstrom HB-4. However, I can't find much info on it, as far as user experience, quality, tone, etc.

Can anyone with some experience with this bass provide some insight into the instrument for me? How are the pickups, electronics, build quality, playbility, etc? What is the tone like? Any problems with the bass? Would you recommend it? I'm hoping to get a thick, sweet, creamy, fat, vintage-like tone (with flatwounds) or a thick, bright tone with rounds and some overdrive. Think this bass can do it?

I like the unique look of the bass, the short scale, and the fact that it has twin humbuckers. Other basses I'm considering are a few 1980s Matsumoku Arias (CSB-380, TSB-350) and an Ibanez Artcore. If anyone can provide insight on any of these other basses, I'd appreciate that too!

Thanks guys!

2. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    bump

3. Peavey Foundation 35" ??

All of mine are 34" even the 5 string one:D Besides the point if it's uncomfortable it's uncomfortable and you're looking for a short scale.
    Never played that particular Hagstrom but I have played a couple of other,got me wanting the HB-8. When production costs got too high
    in Europe unlike other companies going to the Far East, Hagstrom just stopped. Said they hadn't found anyone they trusted to uphold the
    name. That was back in 83.

Now they get made in China but the Hagstrom site says they're still involved. Wish I could tell you how involved:cautious: Must be doing something right
    as there's an awful lot of European punk,rock and metal folks playing their guitars.

Bluebard likes this.
  4. Is there any place local you can play one or maybe buy from someplace with easy returns if it don't work out ?

Bluebard likes this.
  5. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Thanks for the response!
    But unfortunately not :/ I haven't found one in any of the music stores around Buffalo.

6. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I love my Ibanez Artcores (AFB200 Jazz box) and they are classic 60s sound. If the Hag is in good shape, it should be good. I also love my Fender Starcaster

Bluebard likes this.
  7. Old Blastard and Bluebard like this.
  8. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Bluebard likes this.
  9. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Just ordered me an older AFB200 - can't wait to play it! :D
    And thanks guys for the input!

Old Blastard likes this.
  10. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    image.
    It has a great, deep Bassy sound that came out well on stage and sounded good on our demo. The more you play it, the more you'll like it.

Bluebard likes this.
  11. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Great to hear! :D I should have it tomorrow, if the estimated delivery was correct.