1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hagstrom Viking GAS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bjabass, Mar 27, 2013.

1. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Somebody PLEASE talk me out of ordering one of these in tobacco sunburst .....I'm a Fender P bass guy, but this thing is just so darn good lookin.....

2. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Post a pic, I'm starting to want one too!

3. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

hagstrom-viking-bass-tsb.

4. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Uh....you ain't helping....

The negatives I have read are about the tailpiece breaking where the strings mount....I'm hoping they have it fixed by now. I read they were shipping 'improved' replacements to owners under warranty.

5. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Looks like my Coronado, only not as good looking. ;)
    I'd rock one.

6. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Ooh....don't just suppose you got a pic of said Coronado do ya?

7. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    I pulled the trigger....hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks. I emailed Hagstrom about the tailpiece prob and they say any basses shipped since the end of 2011 have the improved one.

Now I have GAS for the hardshell case....

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. I have one and love it. The tail piece was replaced and I bought a Epiphone Jack Cassidy case. It looks so cool, I'm buying another in Black! The only caution is that the electronics are delicate.

Attached Files:

9. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    oh lawd....

You guys need to do a review! With sound clips!

I want one of those things too, but could never make up my mind on sound and quality since i wont be able to play one first..

10. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    The worse news is that Curtis Novak finished his prototype Bi-Sonic/Dark Star/Dark Nova pups and is going in to production. I think I'm gonna need a boatload of GasX.........

I ordered the Hagstrom hard case, it's backordered so it will be a few weeks.

bholder likes this.
  11. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    What is the neck like on these bad boys? I've played and seen a few hagstrom guitars and the necks are the slimmer than paper IMO. I really like the looks and price of these basses, in any color.

I just don't think I'll be able to try before I buy...nervous about not liking the neck. I've got a 67 guild starfire and Im quite partial to its skinny fatness. And by that I mean its a fairly narrow nut and bridge spacing, but it's got a deep C feel to it at the same time.

Cheers on having some sick lookin basses!

-Jeff

12. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm GASing for a red one.

13. trentagxw

trentagxw

Apr 17, 2013
    The negatives I have read are about the tailpiece breaking where the strings mount.[​IMG]

14. severe trauma

severe trauma

Oct 18, 2012
    I have a Hag Tremar Viking Deluxe (hollowbody 6string guitar), it sounds great and is very well made. One thing you might not like though is the fingerboard. Hag uses Resinator on all guitars, it's some kind of resin combined with thin layers of paper, it's said that it has all the good features of ebony but much more durable and easier to clean. Only problem is, it's not wood, looks like plastic, feels like plastic. Although I really like the Hag, it doesn't get played that much because I still can't get used to it.

When I first played it in the shop I thought "hey, cool, something new" and I was really impressed by the tone and overall quality of the guitar. But after a few months I'm having mixed feelings. I usually get attached to my guitars and have never thought about selling one before, this could be my first. Somehow I can't connect with it.

15. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    I picked up the Hag from FedX Friday. Very happy with it. The variety of available tones is astounding for a P bass guy. We'll see how many are actually usable. The bass is extremely well made as far as fit and finish.

The action went right down where I wanted with no buzz, the neck is very straight. It feels much more rigid than previous hollow bodies I have had, but it has been a long time since I had one.

It plays great, the synthetic fretboard doesn't bother me, maybe because I like maple fretboards and they are pretty hard too.

The only negative is the hard edges of a non contoured body. I have played it until the sharp edges begin to hurt my arm and leg.

16. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    BJABASS

Thanks for your brief review of the Viking. Very interesting to hear your opinion on the bass.

I also bought a new one that arrived in early April --- it was black (I wanted cherry though). I bought it from an EBAY dealer brand new with warranty. When it arrived, I immediately plugged it in and tested the bass. Right away, I detected a defect/issue.

When the pick-up selector is set two clicks away from the 'most-counter-clockwise' position, there is no signal to the amp/cab. I notified the dealer right away and he arranged for RMA with the distributor. The bass is now at the hands of distributor. I am waiting for replacement --- I requested for a cherry color; we'll see what happens.

Anyway, I do agree that it is a beautiful bass, no questions about it. It plays well also. The neck is thin --- e.g. not a deep 'C' under the fretboard. That did seem awkward or will take time to get used to --- compared to my two other basses: Yamaha BB1200S and Ibanez Artcore AGB140 Hollowbody full scale.

The p/u dial does seem very fragile and the volume tone knobs don't seem to be that firm either. Overall, when comparing the Viking to the Artcore, the Artcore seems to be way more solid and form well built. The wood used to construct the body of the Viking looked/felt thinner and the innards were not nearly as 'finished' as the Artcore.

Nevertheless, Viking looks beautiful. It is the closest I can afford to imitating Peter Hook's HOT 1 bass.

I can't wait to get my Viking back from American Music/Sound --- hopefully they will give me a Cherry Red one. I will post with update after it arrives.

BTW --- did you restring? What did you use? I have a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Roundwounds --- heavy gages waiting.

17. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    No,I'll play the factory strings a while. I prefer light strings so if I change them that's what it will get. I barely notice the scale length difference since the bass seems large overall to me. I really hope the electrics hold up alright because it looks like a puzzle to get them out for repair. The only other thing I'm not crazy about is the knobs themselves. They look sort of cheap for a bass at this level.

I almost bought the black one....but the red is beautiful too. I hope you get yours soon.

18. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    The replacement Viking arrived, and they swapped for a red one that I requested. Very nice --- spank'n new from the unopened box. The one I sent back was black and looked very 'handled' from being on display at the shop. Sounds great --- I will replace strings soon.

19. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    So, I've been playing my red Viking shortscale for about 6 months now. While the bass looks fabulous and the build is decent --- I now find myself reaching for the vintage 1980's Yamaha BB1200S (similar to a Fender P Bass).

The sound/tone from the Viking just isn't very rich --- seems like there's something missing. May be it is because it is a short scale? Maybe because it is a hollowbody?

The music I play is almost exclusively Peter Hook bass lines (Joy Division / New Order). Hooky used a BB1200S for his studio recordings/albums. On live performances he uses a custom Eccleshall 4 string full scale. My Hagstrom Viking was supposed to emulate the Eccleshall --- but the sound just isn't very good. Would a full scale 34 inch hollowbody sound richer/fuller/denser?

20. I recently purchased a black Viking and I love it. I LOVE it. It sounds as good as it looks and the hardware and finish are as good as anything I have seen. It is an absolutely stunning looking insturment, the bass guitar version of Betty Page.