1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hagstrom Viking reissue impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by abarson, Mar 14, 2016.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Finally got my chance to try a used Hagstrom Viking locally.
    + Gorgeous! The tobacco burst really is nice.
    + I really like the short scale and thin neck! Very fast and a pleasure with short fingers.
    + Price is within budget!

+/- Black tapewound strings feel nice and provide thump, but lack any high end altogether.

- I only found 1 setting with the 6-position switch that sounded usable. Many of the settings sounded thin and lifeless.
    - It isn't intuitive what the switch positions are, and I found myself a couple of times with no output in a certain combination of switch position and volume knob setting.

I don't know if this bass would "wake up" with different strings or if possibly the 6-position switch is buggy, but as much as I wanted to I just couldn't fall in love with this bass. Kind of like if you had Catherine Zeta-Jones but she had a voice like Edith Bunker.
    Anyone have any thoughts about whether this is just the nature of the beast, or could it be a diamond in the rough?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. Definitely sounds like a faulty 6 way switch, none of the settings are supposed to kill the output as per the website: VikingĀ® Bass

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Well, in position 2 or 3, if I had rolled off the volume (bridge or neck, respectively) I could have ended up with silence.
    I think 6 was the one that sounded good, all the others sounded really thin and weak.
    That's assuming 1-6 clockwise.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016