Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 11, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I got a chance to play one of these the other day. Apprently, they were suppose to be the fastest basses built in their day. It's believable, the neck on it made a Jazz neck look huge. Almost felt like a guitar neck with 4 fat strings. Very intersting bass.

Anyone else ever play one?
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had a Hagstrom Big Swede as my main bass for several years. Heavy, sounded okay, fast neck. One of the coolest headstocks around, kind of like a pompadour. Wish I hadn't sold it but oh well.
  3. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I had one in high school.It had a black plastic "top" which had a white pickguard molded into the same piece of plastic with a black vinyl back.the neck was the easiest,fastest I've ever played.I think it was a couple of inches shorter than a fender.But the two pickups,which could be selected separately or combined sounded awful no matter where the controls were set.Bridge p/up=no depth,sounded like a guitar,the neck p/up was too muddy and together the timing between them sounded out of phase and mushy.If I still had that bass I would experiment with rewiring the electronics to see if they were out of phase or if they could be made to sound better.
  4. I picked up an old Hagstrom from a buddy...I dated it and it was around 67-69. 4-string, red, funky pick-up switches, slim neck...I need to clean up the electronics and she'll be playing fine.....
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Many times in the late 60's.

That "World's Fastest Neck" line used in their advertising was true, AFAIK. Great bass for the money as long as you don't care about sustain.

I think they preceded Roland with the synth/midi guitar, the "Swede Patch 2000" or something like that. Ampeg was involved with it.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a collection of 10 Hagstrom basses. Each one is a different model. They range from 1964-76 and all are in mint condition. If you have a Hagstrom question or would like to know how to decifer the serial number to reveal the date of manufacture, let me know.
    No, I do not take my Hag's to gigs. I play a MM StingRay5 so the Hag's stay at home on display.