Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Sep 10, 2002.

1. My first bass was a Hagstrum (i'm not sure about the spelling) It was white with 2 single coil pickups that could be switched on and off with 3 or 4 little slider switches. I replaced the neck pickup with a Gibson type of pickup I got off a Kalamazu bass I bought in a pawn shop. The combination of thick toned neck pickup with the thin toned bridge pickup worked out better than you might expect. Allas it was stolen one night along with Rocko's alto sax and a bunch of microphones and other stuff. Anybody out their still got a Hagstrum?:)
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The instrument with "The World's Fastest Neck" was always one of my bass aspirations, second only to a Baldwin with Burns of London electronics.

Yeah, the Hag E flobbled uncontrollably when attacked hard. But they had a great sound and were simply regarded as a smart buy for people who didn't want to pay the premium price for a for a Fender Precision. (Note: My pre-CBS Precisions were far better basses but, dollar for dollar, the Hags sure gave them a run for the money!).

Aside from the problems that the incredibly thin maple Hag neck presented, I would still love to have one in the stable.
  4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    The founder's name has umlauts, the brand name has not, Just like B.C. Rich's name was Bernardo C. Rico.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I have 10 of them in my collection. All basses and each one a different model.
    If the body of your bass had a plastic molded front on it, then it was a Hagstrom 1B. If it had a wood body it would be a Hagstrom 2 B which is also known as a F-400 in the US.

If you require any Hagstrom info, let me know.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  7. I had both a 4 and an 8 way back when. I had a chance to pick up an 8 a couple of years ago and I'm kicking myself because I didn't!
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I can't help wondering how that Ö looks in a non-swedish computer system....;) :D
  9. It looks the same on my computer. I just don't think my keyboard has that letter.
  10. :D
    You don't actually need a Swedish keyboard to type ö, just like you don't need a German keyboard to type ü. The skill of creatively combining the Alt key with the ~¨^ key is all that it takes. ;)
  11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    I can toggle between English and Portuguese keyboards and the latter has ümläuts. Äll Ï dö is prëss Shïft, ", änd thë lëttër thëÿ gö ön.
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

WHat about french accents ?
    You don't have those on the US keyboard.
    I used to know ALT+numeric keyboards combinations when I was in USA.

é à è ê â û à

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm not sure you're correct there. Perhaps there is a 'Hagstrom' brand name in the U.S., but in Sweden you would interpret that extended crossbar on the 't' to be the two dots over the Ö. (Some people write Ö as an O with a straight or curly line over it instead of the two dots.)

End of Swedish trivia lesson. :)