Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hah, now that was unexpected :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, yesterday was the annual Cultural night here in Reykjavik. This event lasts from 11am to 11pm and this is the most fun day here. What it is about basically is that the downtown comes alive, there are bands everywhere playing, on the streets, in backgardens etc., art shows, and all kinds of events in the whole downtown.

Yesterday, it was estimated that about 100.000 people gathered together downtown, bear in mind that the total population of Iceland is about 300.000.

Anyway, to the unexpected thing....
    I was downtown listening to a great Icelandic funk band called Jagúar . As I was standing there, I see a man walking through the dense crowd.. he stops right besides me when a man comes up to him and talks to him a bit. He stands there for a bit and then continues on his way.

Who was the man who stopped just next to me?
    [​IMG] <-- It was this man.... Forest Whitaker.

I thought it was cool, I did not want to bother him with autographs or pictures or anything. From what many celebs have told what they like so much about Iceland is that they can walk very freely around here and not be bothered, so I did not want to change that ;)

For those who´s interested, Forest is here along with Julia Stiles and Jeremy Renner doing a movie called A little trip to heaven by an Icelandic director called Baltasar Kormakur.

Anyway, I had a great time yesterday and this day has become my favorite day of the whole year. The weather was great and nothing beats walking around downtown listening to all sorts of music, checking out art shows and performances, sitting down for a beer and having a good time.

Any Icelander here who also enjoyed the Cultural night?

Well, I just had to share :hyper:

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Neato. I liked that guy in the Panic Room.

3. :cool: That guy looks familiar... :)

Hey Iceland TB'er friend:

Ever hear of a Contemporary Jazz group calle "Mezzoforte?" I have one of their CD's and (keep in mind that I'm a contemporary jazz junkie / addict) Mezzoforte is pimp!!

:hyper: :cool:

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Heard of Mezzoforte? ? Yup, I sure have. Great band!

They are still playing after all these years, they´ve been playing since 1983 with some breaks. They will be touring Norway in september and will release a new album soon.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Good thing you didn't bug him, he would have cut you bad. Ghost Dog, fo sho sho

6. :eek: OMG anyone - please listen to the samples from their new CD. You just might find youself liking CJ ;) (contemporary jazz).

If I was in a band like that, I've died and gone to heaven. :hyper:

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Forest Whitaker played Charlie Parker in the movie "Bird." If I'm not mistaken, he has a music degree or, at least, received music scholarships. Something like that...

Tom

8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Ghost Dog!!!

Jock in that one Fast Times at Ridgemont High movie!

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    True, he majored in Music and got two scholarships, then got the third scholarship for drama.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    He was in Good Morning Vietnam.

11. i like sigur ros.

i would like to travel to iceland someday.

robb.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Heh!

Sigur Ros dressed up on some Star Trek uniforms and were just walking about playing drums and even playing along some bands just for the fun of it :)

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Listen to "Godspeed You Black Emperor" and "Explosions In The Sky"

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Damn it! I wanted to go to the Cultural night! :bawl:
    Some of my friends were there and they said it was great. Well, at least I had one slice of pizza on Saturday.. :meh:

And by the way, I love Mezzoforte! They are great. Thumbs up!
    bimplizkit, what cd do you have? btw.. you should definitely check out Jagúar!

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thank god I didn't go. Being in dowtown Rvik with 100 thousand drunken Icelanders is more than any person,
    unless similarly inebriated, should have to be subjected
    to.

I feel a nightmare coming on, they are playing
    Sigur Ros at 11, and the vodka just ran out and
    it's only 3 AM. Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh

:D