Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HAHAHA! Comedy Central "Exposes" O'Reilly

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 27, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is hilarious. O'Reilly had Jon Stewart on his show and called his viewers "stoned slackers". Nielson Media did a survey and it turns out Stewart's audience is more educated than O'Reilly's. O'Reilly claims that he was joking but he's so arrogant I'd be willing to bet that there was at least a little bit of his true feelings in the remarks. O'Reilly is scheduled to be on The Daily Show on Oct. 7th. I wish I had cable.

Comedy Central Refutes O'Reilly's Claim

O'Reilly is such a frickin' elitist.

brad cook

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    priceless. :cool:

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    That is hilarious. I love the Daily Show.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I'll try to tape it and i prob can get it on inet for ya:D

I do feel bad that i missed that other show:D

Cheers

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    O'Reilly's "stoned slackers" comment was an attempt at comedy.

If they aren't kidding or just milking it for publicity,
    then "Comedy Central must have lost their sense of humor."

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    i think it said right in the article that they recognized the humour.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    O'Reilly must have the wryest sense of humor known to human kind, because from what I've seen, he never can take a joke...much less make one.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I thought it was a joke comment... but then i remembered who he was... hmmm i don't think any one of us can judge with out actually seeing it...

For sure comedy central is treating it as a joke (if it is or isn’t) since he will be on daily show on 7th...

In anyway its hella funny :D

I personally treat O`Reilly as a comedy even when he is not joking... it just makes me laugh how can someone think Canada is a communist country.. I cant help it... :D

Cheers

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I seriously find the Daily Show to be the best news show on the air.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I find it the only news show on air... I don't see much news on other stations :D well except for BBC I guess...

Just one quote "around the world in 80 seconds" IT’S INPOSIBLE!!!

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Let's just stick to the story at hand please.

brad cook

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    It was ment more as a joke but if you want i can remove it :D

13. No, it was O'Reilly's smug attempt to prove his show superior. FWIW, Stewart handled it quite well, and it came across as a good- if not surprising piece. Jon Stewart knows all too well what can happen being a hostile guest on a hostile show with a hostile host.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    jon stewart makes that joke all the time about his audience.

except...he's funny.

and not too long ago on the show, at the very end, jon stewart was showing "pundits" and "hosts" (well, i guess ya don't need the quotation marks around that one), saying, "...don't listen to these guys." and he ad libbed on a couple of'em.

his ad lib for bill o'reilley wasn't...well...i'm surprised that they agreed to talk to each other after that! o'reilley must not watch the show... figures!

...and let's be really careful with this thread, m'kay? it's borderline as it is, probably.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, that's ok...I just don't want it to turn into some kind of barely-related argument. Well I don't want it to turn into an argument at all but it will help avoid that if we leave our views of other things out of it and just enjoy the story. ;)

brad cook

16. *cue maddox article.*

17. I don't think there's ill feelings between them, Stewart knew EXACTLY what show he was going on to, and I'm sure he fully expected to be grilled for his views, the irreverence of his show and the percieved nature of his viewers.

Sort of like the "odd man out" guest on Bill Maher's show, they know what show they're on, they know Bill's position, they know that the three other people are going to be diametrically opposed to their political views. Unlike the interviewees on "da Ali G Show."

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    O'Riley is a pretentious *******, this is just symptomatic of his assholedness (Hey I think I made up a new word).

Don't get me wrong, I find O'Riley entertaining, and I even sometimes agree with his positions. But he acts like a total A-Hole.

19. ZonMaster

ZonMaster

Jun 18, 2004
    maybe Kansas
    Yeah, I really like his "cut through the bs" approach to interviewees. And I really respect and agree with most of his opinions. Likewise, I watch TDS as much or more than Bill. I was cringing during the Stewart interview, though. Definitely pretty classless and more condescending than usual. I was more than impressed by Jon's handling of the situation. I thought losing Kilborn was a torpedo for TDS. I was SOOOO wrong.

As for the national news articles relaying the educational status of the respective shows... :rolleyes: . Who really cares? It revved up the same crowd that enjoys seeing Bush stumble over a word. Mission accomplished.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought it was funny, I can't stand O'Reilly but I don't enjoy seeing Bush stumble over a word. :meh:

brad cook