Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hail Avatar!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Dec 17, 2003.

1. I just recieved my Avatar 410 today, as a trade for my PV 115..>And it smokes...Got ahold of an amp to test it with, and I love it, punchy Fat, round and 100% juicy meaty TONE!!I command all of you to bow and love the avatar!

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not sure I'd use the same adjectives, but amen, all the same... :D

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yet another believer...perhaps what they say is true about these cabs...;)

4. what's the website for that stuff? and what would it cost to get (and get shipped) say a two ten?

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    brien- it's www.avatarspeakers.com the prices are remarkably affordable. Once christmas gets here-i plan on ordering at least 1 cab [B115H] and more as the money comes. That's all

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hey brien_4...the B210 is $229 plus $29 shipping in the US. Dave often puts them up on eBay starting at $218 plus $29 shipping. He had one close tonight with an opening bid of $215. When the auction started, the description mentioned a scratch in the jack cup. Dave revised the text the other day and there was no mention of a flaw.

FWIW, they're available in either 4 ohm or 8 ohm impedances...

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    brien_4...I didn't pay attention to your location. The shipping prices that I quoted are for the lower 48. Avatar's FAQs say that they'll ship to Canada. Write to Dave at Dave@avatarspeakers.com for a shipping quote. He'll respond right away.

8. Cool for you, DryWaterBass :)

I'm trying to decide right now between two setup options using Avatars. I could get a 410 like you did, or bi-amp a B210 with a B115 (using a G-K 800RB).

With the 410 route I'd have 100W of high-end sitting idle, and I'm thinking that using the 115 will give a little more low end ... but I dunno.

Any thoughts?

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    mgl68...how about a B210 and a B115 (or B212) and run them both full range?

Adding either the B115 (B115H) or B212 would help the low end as their specifications indicate that their -3 dB point is 50 Hz vs. 84 Hz for the B410.

I have a B212 (with Deltas) and the lows are quite nice.

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    If you go the two cab route, be sure that the 15" cab is 4 ohm and the 210 cab is 8 ohm to match the 800RB.

Otherwise, get a 4 ohm 410 cab to get full power out of the head.

Given the choice, I'd go for the 410, for a tighter, punchier sound.

11. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    I received my new Avatar B210 on 12/12 in the 4 ohm config and have had zero problems with it. Nice and punchy, great for the small to midsize gigs for here in Atlanta, and small enough to toss in the trunk or backseat.

In addition, Dave at Avatar is the bomb for customer service, answering emails right away and providing clear instrucions as needed.

Bravo Avatar!

12. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I run my G/K 700RB into one or two Avatar CB112s. What a great rig-- I get either 250watts or 380watts and the head is only 18lbs.
    The cabs are just amazing too. I'd been using a 15 for quite a while, and made the switch to 12s and really like the difference-- much more punch than the 15s. Of course the tweeter makes a difference too. I find that it just needs to be barely on or it becomes overpowering. These cabinets are well worth the $$. :cool:

BTW tornadobass, did you end up getting your 112s? I really like mine paired with an SWR Electric Blue head for URB-- nice and warm and woody. :)

13. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    BD...I think we've hit this point on another thread. The GK 700RB + Avatar 12 cab is a nice light combination that puts out a lot of bottom and plenty of volume.

If needed, I can the GK head (in 2 space X-Rack) in one hand and the Avatar cab in the other. I was concerned about the tradeoffs of going with a light rig after using an SWR SM-400 head and Goliath II cab, but my new rig does a great job...a big improvement in volume and bottom over the WM12 it replaced.

14. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, I just couldn't remember if was here or at HCBF. ;)

15. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I've got my Avatar 210 sitting on top of a 36 lb. Bag End 15 that's punchy as hell. What a combo. Got the two for around $450 including shipping. Very portable. Very effecient (i.e. LOUD).

16. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for the B210 (running at 8 ohms) and a B115 (at 4 ohms) simply because for most small gigs I can just take the 210 ... lugging the 410s around (small car) could pose a problem.

Thanks for all the ideas though :)

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The B410, B115 and B212 are all the same size...27 x 25 x16.5 in.

18. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey mgl68, I've got an 800RB with a B210 & B212 and I would highly recommend the 212 over the 115 for it's low end booty. I can run the GK totally flat with no contour and it really kicks. As far as impedance, I bought an 8 ohm B212 and then bought the speakers to make it a 4 ohm later. It's honestly hard to tell if there's much difference in SPL. I am mainly bi-amping with this rig but sometimes run full range too. If I just need one cab I'll bring the B212.

Hope this helps,
    Alan

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Great post Alan, thanks! Your comment about 8 ohms vs. 4 ohms for the B212 is valuable since the 800RB doesn't have a fan and an 8 ohm cabinet would allow it to run cooler.