1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hail, Caesar!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Feb 22, 2016.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Just saw it. I think the Coen brothers have to have a real love for that golden age of Hollywood to make fun of it the way they do. It's a tribute to the craft that went into all the old dance numbers, miniature special effects, Busby Berkeley swimming scenes and epic film making while poking fun at them all. Really great stuff. Just like all their films, I'm going to have to rewatch it a few times to get all the layers.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Was it Big Lenowsky/Fargo good? Or just Burn After Reading good?

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    there local boys, but honestly I've never really got what they were doing. I'm usually left with a feeling of well , *** was that ? and that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Lebowski is a great film, Fargo, No Country Etc. This is a comedy, very funny but prob not a classic.

Miller's Crossing is my current fav...What's the rumpus?

5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    More O Brother good. Great movie but it doesn't have the Dude.

To me, it had little bits of their other movies hidden in it. It's set in the same time as Bartin Fink. It has a screwball thrust into solving a mystery like Lebowski. It has touches of slapstick like Raising Arizona. Some of the dialog is similar to Hudsucker. Clooney has a similar character as O Brother that thinks he's smarter than he actually is. I'd have to watch it again to pickup on other layers.