Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hail to the Thief - New Radiohead !

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well, does anyone have it yet?
    I think it's out in europe, and it's set for release in North America tomorrow.

The best part:
    I got it today. I went to reserve a copy at the record store today, and they already had them sitting there. I know the guys there, so I have a special edition one day early. Nothing amazing, but I get to enjoy it for one more day. :D

Those who have heard it: what do you think?

I guess I'll post a formal review in a day or two, once I listen more.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me likes it ALOT.

3. Favorite tracks - "2+2=5", "Backdrifts", "A Punchup at a Wedding", "and "Myxomatosis".

I'd probably rank it among the existing albums like this (1 being best, 7 being worst)...
    1) Kid A
    2) Ok Computer
    3) Hail to the Thief
    4) Amnesiac
    5) I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings
    6) The Bends
    7) Pablo Honey

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I've heard 3 songs on the radio, and sounds good so far! :)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just happened to notice that Best Buy advertises this CD for 9.99 this week. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

brad cook

6. Saw them on Jools Holland last week (it actually seems they are almost trying to promote it :eek: ) and the new songs looked very cool.

Haven't bought it yet though, out of stock at my nearest CD shop. Hopefully a good sign.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

fixed it for you :p

8. it's good. of course it's good, it's radiohead. but it's not great. it didn't blow me away like the last 3 albums. the songs seem to have no character of their own, and they sort of meander. i'm disappointed, but i do think that their best work is still ahead of them.

p.s. my favorite is amnesiac

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    So far so good I'd say... I need to listen to an album a bunch of times to figure how much I actually like it. Thus I'm not prepared to rank this in the overall Radiohead catalogue yet... I don't think they surpassed my all-time favourite track, which would be "I Might Be Wrong"

10. any one heard any thing from the cover ablume any one can play radiohead so pretty sic stuff. i need money and iam going and getting this cd. is there live cd's worth it.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Huh? :meh:

brad cook

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, this is a good album! I just picked it up today along with the new jaco anthology, and while the radiohead is really good, I'd much rather listen to this jaco stuff...it is happppening.!

13. I got the album a few days ago. I've had the music for a while, illegally. *Blushes*

The mixes on the CD are far better than the leaked stuff, although I don't like the edit at the beginning of "I Will". I rate the album significantly higher than Kid A or Amnesiac, simply because the songs are consistently good all the way through.

Great stuff. A lot more accessible than Kid A, but still infinitely more subtle than the generic crap they are an alternative to.

The only live CD I've heard is "I might be wrong:live recordings". It's not all that good - some awful off-key vocals, dodgy or just boring performances and not all that much material for the price.

There are however, two absolutely necessary tracks on the disc - True Love Waits and a piano version of Like Spinning Plates which totally owns the original. I was astounded to hear gems like that surrounded by what sounds to me like unexceptional material. It's worth it for those two tracks, but that's all I ever listen to off that disc.

Radiohead are like that - when they suck, it's unlistenable. When they are on their game, it's unbelievable. I have a version of Bulletproof which is one of the finest tracks I've ever heard, live or otherwise.

14. ^^ yeah, only they NEVER suck. i think that whole cd is great, in fact true love waits is my least favorite track.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think the album is decent but generally dissappointing for a live album. I still listen to it sometimes. My favorite is Kid A and it has been from the moment I popped the CD into my player and heard that fat, rich organ come in.

brad cook

16. the thing is, Kid A is great but sounds so sterile at times, and it is amazing to hear how well they pull off songs like Morning Bell live.

17. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Why does virtually every Radiohead fan list Pablo Honey as their least favorite album? Just curious. I think it has some pretty great moments, such as "Anyone Can Play Guitar", one of the best rock "anthems" of the 90s. And hey....we all still like the song "Creep"..lol.

18. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Does anyone know why Morning Bell is one both Kid A and Amnesiac?

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay, after having this album for a while, I have decided. It is very good.

radiohead has found the perfect balance between rock and abstract electronic music. suits them well.

20. Bought it today, liking it so far. It hasnt blown me away or anything, but then all of RH's best stuff needs a few listens before it grows in you.
    So far I've found it to be like a mix of Kid A and OK Computer.

Its two different versions.
    Jim