1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hair and bow tip

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Tymophil, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    The little piece of wood that holds the hair in position (taquet in French, but I don't know the name in English) at the bow tip came out.

How do I put it back in place ?

2. JimGullen

JimGullen orch. bassist trapped in a statistician's body...

Oct 25, 2005
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Greetings!

In English, it's referred to as a plug. Properly fitted, a taquet (I like that word, thanks for it!) is simply press-fitted into the mortise. It's carved so that there are specific angles on different faces that lock it in place. The walls of the mortise are not parallel and the leading edge of the taquet is pulled into the wall of the mortise by the hair. It's basically a cam.

In the winter, when humidity is lower, the wood of the plug can shrink (along with the hair) and loosen...this is probably what happened. I'm guessing you won't be able to shove the plug back in there solidly, and if you do, you might not have a nice, even ribbon of hair anymore.

When was your bow last rehaired? I would probably recommend that over trying to shove the plug back in.

Best regards!
    Jim