Hair Band Wooten style.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Michael Henson, Oct 14, 2005.

1. I know that on a couple of his basses Wooten has a hair band around the top of his bass neck. I've tried to put one on mine but I'm afraid the only way is to take the keys off put it on and then replace the keys. Is this correct? Or is there another way to wrap a hair band around the top tight enough to make a difference without going through all that trouble.
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I just put a big one on, then pinch it tight and saftey pin it. Well, actually I just use an iPod sock.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could also use a bit of felt just after the nut.
  4. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I know, I know…try it and see...But does the hair band thing make that much of a difference?
    Wouldn't it deaden the harmonics?
  5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I wasn't sure what this thread would be about. I was imagining Victor and his band with big hair from the 1980's. Although that head band that Bela sports is a close second. :D
  6. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    what does the hairband do? I spent the entire show trying to figure it out. I guess it mutes strings he isn't playing?
  7. In the Bass Extremes video he uses one around the lower frets to help dampen the strings when he does two-handed tapping. He mentions it, explains it, him and Steve crack some really lame jokes back and forth about it, and then proceeds to tap his nuts off like the badass that he is.
  8. He uses it around the top to prevent the extra ringing that can occur when slapping. I've noticed that sometimes he moves it further down toward the base of the neck, depending on where he is going to be playing. Also when playing harmonics couldn't you just move up right below the keys? That way it wouldn't affect the harmonics... :eyebrow:
  9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Just moving it a little bit behind the nut makes it have no effect. For a little muting I'll pull it to about a tenth of the way up on the first fret. For muting while tapping I'll move it almost to the first fret.
  10. I got mine on without doing anythin special.

Whats the problem with the tuning keys?
    What kind of hair band are you using?
  11. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If a hairtie isnt avail., a lance armstrong wristband, cut and then tied, placed under the strings, works as well.