Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hair Cuttery Horror Story

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I just got a haircut from the Hair Cuttery, and I am very, very pissed off.

Before the hair cut, I had hair that was more or less, down to about an inch below my cheek bone. It was cool. But the back was overgrown and it began to look like a mullet, so I went to the desk at the Hair Cuttery and requested to get the back cut. About five minutes later my name was called and I went to the back of the Hair Cuttery with some hairy female animal named Taj, whose name I am more than happy to slander. I told her "I just want the back layer cut off, the one that is growing off my neck."
    She then proceeded to tell me about "dry hair" and how it was making things look shorter. To summarize things, she went on a rampage. Not only did she cut off about half of the hair that I had, she made several layers out of one even layer and it will take me probably a year to regrow it. My hair now in front doesn't extend past my forehead. Then Taj told me that "all the boys in magazine have hair like you."

Never ever do business with Hair Cuttery, especially the one in Beacon Hill Mall, Alexandria, VA

2. we've all had them man. I've had my fair share of mine....hopefully you can grow it back sooner :meh:

and if it looks that bad, just shave it all off.

3. Yeah, I stopped letting other people cut my hair about 2 years ago. Saves a lot of time and money for me. :D

Actually...I just recently started again, but that's because I don't quite trust myself with a razor on my own head. I probably would if I shaved on a regular basis...but I don't shave, period. :p

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The lesson learned = when you know what you want going in, don't get talked into something different. Salesmen and people who cut hair are a couple of the worst offenders. (oh, no...you don't want that one...come over here and let me show you something your going to be a lot happier with....):rolleyes:

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Thanks for your condolences.

Anyway, I found the PR e-mail for the corporation that Hair Cuttery is a part of. This is not the costumer service e-mail, which I was unable to locate. To insure that I got a response, I did not write an offensive e-mail. I encourage others to "take the road less traveled". I entitled the e-mail that I sent them "Questions for an article". I will post their response as soon as I get one.

This is the address that I sent the e-mail to:

PR@ratnerco.com

6. I had hair down to my eyes a month ago. Said I DIDN'T want the top cut. Lets just say I'm not going back. Still isnt as long and havent got a cut in a month. So I refuse to get a haircut till it's long enough to my liking.

7. I agree...sorta.

Sometimes, a good barber doesn't need to charge a lot of money, because he has virtually no overhead. The barbershop where I get my hair cut is $12, and is men-only. (The abundance of Maxim and FHM in the waiting table labels it as a Female-Unfriendly Zone.)

Chain salons have franchise fees and perm chemical purchases to deal with (and they're coming back in style). They would lose money on straight-up haircuts if they didn't skimp on the quality for stylists.

If there's any business where you should go to an independent store rather than a chain, it's barbershops.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I get my hair cut at perhaps one of the largest chains, Supercuts. It's 10.95 and they usually do a fine job. I've heard about a small barber here though who charges 4 or 5 bucks. Not sure where he's located but I want to try him out.

brad cook

9. jesica

jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    oh, well when you said "horror" i thought you got an ear cut off or something...:meh:

10. once i got my hair cut at a professional place. Just a standard "cut" with no special things (lack of better word) whatsoever was about $38. One of the best cuts I've ever had though.

There were also some more flamboyant males working there... :eek:

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The "more flamboyant" kinda guys(almost did a freudian slip here! :eek: ) sure can cut hair though! :) I have couple times used one of the bit more higher-end hairshops in my city and there was this one fellow who was very good at his job.

It was around $15-20 per cut though, so I decided to go back to this lady who is sort of our family barber and cuts my hair for $7 :cool:

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yeah, well, I guess I learned my lesson. If you don't pay a lot, you don't get a lot (except for Cort Basses, check out my thread in Basses). I have actually had a good cut at a Hair Cuttery too, this one was at a different location than the one I had today. There might have been better personnel there because it was in a crowded mall. I am little less pissed now, so I think I'll try not to get sued. None of what I ever said in this thread is an absolute confirm fact, except for the part about me getting a haircut and my hair now looks about as ugly as the anonymous person's face, whose name is definitely not the person I said above because then I would have been in the front of the store. I apologize to any apes that I offended by placing a very ugly person's name amongst you. I probably won't get sued because I am one of the almighty bassists, and I am a wee bit young. Thanks to jesica for hoping that my ear gets loped off, I hope your's does too. ;)

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hair Cuttery and Supercuts dont know how to handle long hair IME.

Im done with haircuts!

Oh and from now on when I go, Im going to a barber a friend recommends, not some stranger who was hired by one of those big corporations.

Peace
    Thor

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What if a friend recommended someone who "was hired by one of those big corporations?"

brad cook

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I go to a "flamboyant male" all the time to get my hair cut. He's one of the cheapest guys in town ($10 for a cut, $25 for a cut and color) and is by far the best hair stylist in my town of 30,000. He doesn't work for a corporation. He stopped taking new customers about 6 months ago because he had so many regular customers calling that with the new ones he had to stay from 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m.

The place I used to go (old man barbershop) charged $6 when I left there, but you always had to wonder if you were going to get a good cut or not.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You should be more careful what you wish..

I'm sure JT will be here soon, posting a picture of his mullet ("Oh, all my Conklins in the pic? Well they all just HAPPENED to be entangled to my hair at the time! What a coincidence!") :p ;)

For what it's worth.. I got a cut couple days ago, pre-pic is just few weeks old :eek:

:D

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have yet to find a hair style that I really like.

I have gone through many , from shaved, too hair going down to my shoulders.

My favorite so far is short and scruffy, but my hair is too fine to be scruffy, so I just have a dopey little kid hair-do almost all the time.

oh well.

I too have gotten the best haircuts from the flamboyant male barbers. even the last one I had, the guy didn't seem to care much, but he did a fantastic job.

19. You Finns are all scary-Nordic looking. I keep thinking you're going to decapitate me and rape my daughter, as it were.

:D

20. I get mine cut from my grandfather's barber... I love barber shops. I used to get it cut by my grandmother's "flamboyant hairstylist", but he kept styling it unneccessary and because of all his fuss I developed dandruff. So I changed, and all for the better.

I just get it cut shorter, and parted down the left side (your right, as it were).

The kids a school call me Pee Wee Herman for it, but hey. It goes with my gig image.